Logitech Z520 PC speakers
These high-quality stereo PC speakers have good mid-range and treble response but lack a subwoofer
- Clear treble, accurate mid-range, decent power levels
- No option to add a subwoofer, expensive
If you’re looking for a simple and compact pair of stereo speakers that still sound detailed, the Z520 set from Logitech is a good choice. It doesn’t have everything we’d want in a set of near-field speakers but the overall package is tempting.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Z520 stereo PC speakers are relatively expensive. The sound they produce is worth the outlay, though; good treble and mid-range response make for accurate and lively musical reproduction. The lack of a subwoofer means the system is suited to PC users looking for a compact, refined system rather than a bass-heavy one.
The Logitech Z520 speakers are reasonably well built, with a conservative design that still possesses a few stylish cues. Detatching the grills will show off the silver accents and piano-black fascia, but we prefer the grills on for a minimalist look. The right speaker has a combination power button and volume control with a dim orange light burning when the speakers are turned on.
A wall-wart power brick connects to the right speaker with a few metres of cord, while the speakers themselves can be separated by around two metres. The 3.5mm audio jack is a similar length, so if your PC is a short distance away from your monitor you won’t be inconvenienced. We would have liked the addition of an inbuilt DAC (sound card) and the ability to connect via USB, like the older and cheaper Logitech Z5 speakers. The right speaker has line-in and line-out ports on its side for auxiliary and headphone connections.
The sound quality from the Logitech Z520 PC speakers is good for their price point. A single 1in tweeter and a 3in woofer on the front of each speaker are joined by another tweeter on the rear, which provides some omnidirectional acoustics. We tested the Z520 with a whole range of audio you’d expect to hear on a desktop PC — streaming Internet radio, YouTube, MP3s, CDs, movies and PC games. We found the system best suited to CDs and other music, with balanced and accurate treble and mid-range at medium to high volumes. There’s no lower bass extension because the system does not include a subwoofer. This makes the speakers sometimes sound flat when watching movies and playing action PC games. The Z523 includes a subwoofer and costs less, but the Z520’s saving graces are its clarity and good treble balance, thanks to discrete tweeters.
Logitech’s Z520 speaker system is a good compact speaker system for those who want clear, high-quality PC audio for a reasonable price but don’t have the space to store a bulky subwoofer.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
PCW Evaluation Team
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTsolution ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsNSW
- TPMobile Application DeveloperVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTSr Infrastructure Automation EngineerACT
- FTProject Manager - Accountin Finance and AssetWA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer/ ConsultantVIC
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTIT Support Level 1 and 2NSW