- Clear and balanced audio, great included remote
- Reliance on software can be irritating, weak lower mid-range
Logitech's Z-Cinema will transform your PC into a mini home entertainment setup. If you're looking to use your PC for media related tasks, it's an excellent option.
Price$ 499.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Z-Cinema Advanced Surround System is a set of 2.1 PC speakers with SRS TruSurround HD technology, which simulates a 5.1 surround sound environment. Although we found the speakers themselves to generally be of quite high quality, the included software had a few issues which slightly irked us. Nevertheless, the Z-Cinema speakers are an excellent product, and perfect for use with media centre or media focused PCs.
The audio on the speakers is quite impressive, and the large sub generates a good amount of bass. The audio is generally well balanced, with treble showing an impressive amount of strength and clarity, even with the subwoofer going at full strength. The mid-range is clear and has a good presence without being too dominant, displaying a quick sound without too much lingering. Bass is generally quite good, without too much distortion even at full power, and a nice, tight sound. Unfortunately, for some reason there was a noticeable weak point in the lower mid-range. We noticed that bass lines in certain songs were uncharacteristically weak, without any real presence to speak of.
Volume will depend a lot on individual PCs, but we found that even cranking ours to maximum volume, we weren't able to get as much power out of the speakers as with others we've used. Nevertheless, they create a good amount of noise, without too much overt distortion. Designed primarily for desktop use, their lack of room-spanning volume can be forgiven. The sub is a powerhouse, and creates a good rumble.
Our major qualm with the Z-Cinema is the included software. The speakers are connected to the PC using a USB cable. This allows the use of a remote that's actually very well designed. An iPod-esque scroll wheel allows for volume adjustments, and a standard array of play, pause, skip, etc buttons are available that can be used with certain media players, such as Windows Media Player, but which don't work as well with others. Some basic Windows Media Centre controls are included as well. The problem is that the software itself can crash or freeze up for several seconds, inhibiting control. Although we suspect that this is a problem more with our PC than the software, nevertheless the reliance on software for operation of the speakers is irritating at times. That said, for the most part it's incredibly functional, and helps to give PCs much more of a home entertainment feel while watching movies.
The SRS TruSurround technology is interesting. It definitely creates a fuller and broader sound, and gives the impression of surround sound. It's not as good as actually having the surround speakers; however, for those without the space for such setups, this is a viable alternative.
The speakers have an attractive design, with a grey-framed black front panel, slightly curved. The connecting cables are quite thick, and may get in the way for those without the space to tuck them behind a desk or along a wall. Nevertheless, the overall aesthetic is quite pleasing, and the remote, as previously mentioned, is very well designed.
Logitech's Z-Cinema is an excellent product for those wishing to use their PCs as much more media-centric devices. The included remote and software gives the ensemble much more of a home entertainment type feel, although on the other hand, the reliance on the software is at times irritating. The audio quality is impressive, and the SRS TruSurround technology is a great feature for those with limited space.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- TPProject Manager - 3 days per weekQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Engineer - Firewalls (Juniper )Other
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCSenior .NET Engineer - Back-EndNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- FTPhone System TechnicianQLD
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTJunior Java DeveloperOther
- CCExperience / Service DesignerACT
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- TPIT Security EngineerQLD
- TPKnowledge AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Accounting / Financial DataOther
- CCSystems Engineers / Infrastructure EngineersNSW
- FTCoordinator X2 - Construction, Transport, RailOther
- FTProject Manager - Property /Engineering/ Construction - GovtOther