- Clear and balanced audio, great included remote
- Reliance on software can be irritating, weak lower mid-range
Logitech's Z-Cinema will transform your PC into a mini home entertainment setup. If you're looking to use your PC for media related tasks, it's an excellent option.
Price$ 499.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Z-Cinema Advanced Surround System is a set of 2.1 PC speakers with SRS TruSurround HD technology, which simulates a 5.1 surround sound environment. Although we found the speakers themselves to generally be of quite high quality, the included software had a few issues which slightly irked us. Nevertheless, the Z-Cinema speakers are an excellent product, and perfect for use with media centre or media focused PCs.
The audio on the speakers is quite impressive, and the large sub generates a good amount of bass. The audio is generally well balanced, with treble showing an impressive amount of strength and clarity, even with the subwoofer going at full strength. The mid-range is clear and has a good presence without being too dominant, displaying a quick sound without too much lingering. Bass is generally quite good, without too much distortion even at full power, and a nice, tight sound. Unfortunately, for some reason there was a noticeable weak point in the lower mid-range. We noticed that bass lines in certain songs were uncharacteristically weak, without any real presence to speak of.
Volume will depend a lot on individual PCs, but we found that even cranking ours to maximum volume, we weren't able to get as much power out of the speakers as with others we've used. Nevertheless, they create a good amount of noise, without too much overt distortion. Designed primarily for desktop use, their lack of room-spanning volume can be forgiven. The sub is a powerhouse, and creates a good rumble.
Our major qualm with the Z-Cinema is the included software. The speakers are connected to the PC using a USB cable. This allows the use of a remote that's actually very well designed. An iPod-esque scroll wheel allows for volume adjustments, and a standard array of play, pause, skip, etc buttons are available that can be used with certain media players, such as Windows Media Player, but which don't work as well with others. Some basic Windows Media Centre controls are included as well. The problem is that the software itself can crash or freeze up for several seconds, inhibiting control. Although we suspect that this is a problem more with our PC than the software, nevertheless the reliance on software for operation of the speakers is irritating at times. That said, for the most part it's incredibly functional, and helps to give PCs much more of a home entertainment feel while watching movies.
The SRS TruSurround technology is interesting. It definitely creates a fuller and broader sound, and gives the impression of surround sound. It's not as good as actually having the surround speakers; however, for those without the space for such setups, this is a viable alternative.
The speakers have an attractive design, with a grey-framed black front panel, slightly curved. The connecting cables are quite thick, and may get in the way for those without the space to tuck them behind a desk or along a wall. Nevertheless, the overall aesthetic is quite pleasing, and the remote, as previously mentioned, is very well designed.
Logitech's Z-Cinema is an excellent product for those wishing to use their PCs as much more media-centric devices. The included remote and software gives the ensemble much more of a home entertainment type feel, although on the other hand, the reliance on the software is at times irritating. The audio quality is impressive, and the SRS TruSurround technology is a great feature for those with limited space.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- HTC Desire 12 release date, price and specs
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Radeon Software Brings Faster, Smoother Performance to the World’s Most Popular eSports Titles, Thanks to AMD’s Project ReSX
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSQL DeveloperQLD
- CCSnr Security Incident Coordinator (Tier 3) - Contract 2 Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPWeb Content SpecialistACT
- FTSignalling Project ManagerWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther
- TPProject Manager - ServiceNowNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSalesforce/CRM Product Owner (CSPO)Other
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager - Service ManagementWA
- CCJunior - Mid Level ServiceNow ArchitectQLD
- FTTester (Dynamics AX)Other
- CCDB2 SpecialistACT
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Financial Services | $880/dayQLD
- CCHR Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTDatabase Systems Specialist - AzureOther
- CCIntegration Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTStakeholder Engagement Lead x2 (Land Access)Other
- CCCisco Test SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTCRM TrainerOther
- CCJunior Project AnalystVIC
- CCMaster SchedulerNSW