In multicultural Australia, the opportunity for home cooks to expand their culinary horizons is too tempting to resist.
Logitech S125i portable iPod speaker
This portable iPod speaker is good for picnics and trips to the beach
- Decent sound quality with reasonable bass, well built
- Distortion at higher volumes, bass enhancement feature affects clarity, only 10 hours of battery life using four AAs
The Logitech S125i is a portable iPod speaker that is good to throw in your bag when heading out for a picnic. It doesn’t have perfect sound quality and it’s a little more expensive than we think it should be, but it’s built well and makes for a fun addition to your picnic basket.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Logitech S125i is a well-built iPod speaker system that can use batteries or mains power to run. It’s a simple unit and provides reasonable audio quality at low to medium volumes, but distortion becomes evident when cranking the sound up. Despite its flaws, it could be a useful product if you're heading off on a holiday.
The Logitech S125i is not flimsily built and it doesn't rattle, which is unusual for a budget iPod accessory. With four AA batteries in the bottom-loading battery compartment it tips the scales at just under 400g, so you can easily throw it in a backpack and not notice the extra weight. Battery life is a disappointing 10 hours, however. The buttons are well constructed and offer good tactile feedback.
The Logitech S125i has a 3.5mm auxiliary input on its rear, so you can plug in almost any portable media player if you have the correct cable.
We found sound to be best at a medium volume level. There’s a bass enhancement button on the front but by and large we preferred it off. The speaker system's reasonable treble detail and slightly recessed mid-range made for good listening, especially with the ambient noise of an office in the background.
Maxing out the Logitech S125i’s speakers in a quiet park, we quickly noticed that the treble was not nearly as prominent as mid-range. Distortion was also obvious during complex musical passages. Switching on the bass enhancement did give a boost to lower frequencies, but also robbed treble of its clarity — this is a mode well suited to higher volume levels where treble is already over-shadowed.
Despite being slightly expensive for a humble portable iPod speaker, the Logitech S125i is a decent purchase. It has acceptable sound quality at most listening volumes and is built well; its flaws only become debilitating at maximum volume.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 2 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 5 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Hands on with Huawei's Mate 20 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Oppo Find X: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies