- Small and fairly compact, Easy to use and access controls, Outstanding value for money
- Volume could be a little louder, Bass isn’t the greatest
The Logitech R-10 aren’t the best sounding speakers on the market – in fact they’re not even close. However, what the R-10 offers is unsurpassed and outstanding value for money. At this price, they’re a steal.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
It's not often we review such a basic pair of PC speakers, but for notebook users and those with a limited amount of desk space, the extra size and weight of a 2.1 system flanked with a typically large and heavy subwoofer means a lack of portability. Enter the Logitech R-10 - a simple, yet effective 2.0 PC speaker set-up which provides outstanding value for money and surprisingly efficient sound quality.
Let us start by saying that there's nothing overly attractive or outstanding about the R-10. In short, they are an extremely basic set of desktop or notebook PC speakers. With a fairly orthodox black finish, the compact and petite R-10 will definitely appeal to those with a lack of desktop space - and make no mistake, there are plenty of us out there!
Despite being very basic, it must be said that the R-10 contains all the controls needed for both ease of use and convenience. The left speaker contains a Headphone Jack, a Power Button, a Green LED and the Volume Control. The controls are all easy to access and we experienced no problems or annoyances with them - perhaps with an exception to the lack of bass and treble controls. However, it must be said that these functions sometimes aren't even available on higher end units, so to ask for them on such a low priced and basic unit is perhaps asking a little too much.
The speakers themselves are fairly thin and light, although if you're looking for a slimmer number, you're best bet would be the TDK Tremor xa60 - but do note the major price difference. The R-10's are fuller, and slope out as they move downwards to the plastic base - which has convenient anti-slip rubber grip pieces underneath to prevent unwanted movement.
The R-10 is simple to set up - a coloured cable plugs into your PC's sound card, while the AC adapter is the only other connection you'll need to worry about. To say we were surprised with the sound quality of the R-10 is perhaps an understatement. While they won't ever compete with most 2.1 systems, you'll struggle to find better sound for such a low price anywhere else. At under $30 (RRP at the time of review), the R-10 delivers crisp, clear sound with no notable distortion or interference. The bass isn't the greatest and those who enjoy their pounding beats in heavier tunes may be somewhat discomforted, but for everyone else, the clarity and crispness that the R-10 delivers really makes you check the price to make sure you haven't been fooled. The only complaint we have is with the volume, which could have been a little louder at its highest setting.
Undoubtedly, the best feature of the R-10 is its value for money. If there's a better pair of basic PC speakers then we'd really like to know about them.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- What the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition's specs and pricing mean for PC gamers
- AMD Threadripper exclusive: Only Alienware's Area-51 will have it in 2017
- Intel's revealed the Core i9 ship dates, but you won't like them
- Hands-on: Creative Labs' Sound BlasterX AE-5 ups the audio for gamers
- Logitech's Powerplay mousepad wirelessly charges your mouse while you use it
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Virtualisation and StorageVIC
- FTWeb Developer - VR 3D WebGL - Lake MacquarieNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTSenior Data ModellerOther
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTApplication Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Investment FundsNSW
- FTProject Implementation ManagerOther
- FTLAMP Stack Developer/ PHP DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Front End DevelopersOther
- FTProject Manager- Infrastructure & cloud computingOther
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)Other
- FTSenior PHP Developer - Symfony 2QLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst | 12 month fixed term contractQLD
- CCSAP Support ConsultantNSW
- FTApplication Service AdministratorNSW
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |VIC
- FTSolution ConsultantVIC
- CCKnowledge/CSI ManagerACT
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW