Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision
- Excellent image quality, top quality microphone, easy to use
- Some flow down on fast objects, flimsy control buttons
The Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision is an excellent webcam that produces high quality images with only a few minor problems.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
The Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision is the highest quality and most expensive webcam in the Logitech product line up. Thankfully, the image quality makes it easily one of the best webcams we've seen and the audio and visual tweaks offered in the bundled software make video chat or vlogging a pleasurable, user-friendly experience.
Logitech attributes the image quality to the fixed focus lens (which they claim contains five precision engineered components) and the 1.3 megapixel sensor. The camera can support video resolutions up to 640x480 pixels at 30 frames per second and still images of up to 4 megapixels. The result is reasonably smooth video while recording or engaging in a video conference. There is some lag and jerkiness in the image at times but compared to other webcams we've reviewed, the Ultra Vision suffered from this the least.
We tested the camera with Windows Live Messenger and it worked beautifully with smooth video, so long as the subject didn't make any fast movements such as waving hands. We also tested the camera on Skype and Yahoo Messenger with the same results. We also used the new Quick Capture feature on YouTube.com to post a vlog on-the-fly. The result was reasonable, but the frame rate dropped to a point where the video was too slow and digital artefacts began to appear, so it could definitely be improved.
The bundled software comes with software called QuickCam. This is the gateway to using the specialised plug-ins and the image and audio correction technologies that make this model stand apart from the rest. To provide the best image possible, Logitech have created a technology they call "Rightlight 2" which corrects lighting problems. The built-in microphone also uses a similarly named technology called "RightSound" which cuts out echo and background noise to produce the cleanest sound possible.
Like other Logitech products, the QuickCam software also comes with some fun features such as face tracking, animated 3D avatars and video effects. For the most part these are novelties but the 3D avatar feature is definitely worth checking out. In addition to the included 3D characters there are others available for download as well. When setting up the program to use the avatar function, the camera is given points of reference on your face that it translates into movements on the 3D character model. When you smile, the on-screen character smiles as well. The range of emotions is limited but it is certainly an odd and fascinating experience nonetheless.
The cylindrical design is rather attractive with chrome silver on one side and a white finish on the other. Each side of the unit has a single button which is used for quick image Snapshot on the left and to open the QuickCam software on the right. We found these buttons to be a little flimsy and they also tended to get jammed every now and then. This camera is designed to sit on the top of your monitor and comes with a fairly heavy base to allow the camera to be mounted on top. This works very well and remarkably enough is actually rather sturdy. The provided cable from the camera to the PC is six feet long which makes it useful for those using their TVs in a media centre lounge room. Finally, the device is compatible with Windows 98. 2000, XP and even Windows Vista, making it a sound investment for those concerned about future proofing.
There are a few minor problems with this camera but they shouldn't stop you picking up this excellent webcam, should you have the budget.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- CCSenior Windows EngineerNSW
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Permanent PositionQLD
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerce/Supply ChainOther
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking and FinanceOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther