Logitech PlayGear Amp
- Tinny, harsh sound
A portable speaker system for the PSP that fails to deliver on sound quality.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The PlayGear Amp is a speaker system that's designed to be a companion to the Sony PSP. Two mini speakers fold out from the main body and the PSP slides neatly into the middle. It's an easy to use system that's also portable, though ultimately it fails in the most crucial area: sound quality.
We recently tested the PlayGear Amp in parallel to another of Logitech's portable speaker systems, the Logitech mm28. Both are approximately the same size and both cost the same amount. Both can run on battery power or use the supplied AC adapter. There are two main distinctions though; the PlayGear Amp includes a volume control, and the two systems also use completely different types of speakers. The mm28 uses flat panel NXT speakers, while the PlayGear Amp uses four conventional drivers.
The inclusion of a volume control is nifty, but it can't help to hide the PlayGear Amp's poor audio quality. While both systems suffer from low volume, that's only to be expected from such small speakers. The real difference is the warmth of the sound, or lack thereof in the case of the PlayGear Amp. While the mm28 produced a well balanced sound, the PlayGear Amp was tinny, with a distinct absence of punch in the lower frequencies. We also felt the sound was a little harsh, lacking the crispness and detail of the alternate system.
While the PlayGear Amp is aimed at PSP users, with its plastic dock connection and matching black colour scheme, there's no real reason why it can't be used with any unit that's equipped with a 3.5mm jack. A trailing wire allows any device such as an iPod, portable media player or notebook to be connected with ease. Logitech also market a near identical system, the mm22, which comes in iPod white and is slightly smaller.
Overall, we found the PlayGear Amp to be an average system. It's small and portable, yet like many other units of this type, the sound just failed to impress us.
Join the newsletter!
Roam freely in the digital world. Critically acclaimed performance and security at your fingertips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Razer roll out studio-grade Serien Elite microphone
- Blizzard announce new rewards for Battle for Azeroth preorders
- Intel Extreme Masters to bring eSports back to the Qudos Arena in May
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- The Avengers Project release date, platforms, gameplay news & trailers
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTGraduate Recruiter - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Release ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Support - Level 3ACT
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- FTInternal Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCNode.js DeveloperQLD
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- CCXamarin DeveloperNSW
- FTSales Support and Administration OfficerOther
- FTPrinciple Health Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - Syd / MelbNSW
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- CC.Net DeveloperSA
- CCMicrosoft CRM Technical ConsultantNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- TPFinance Integration LeadQLD
- FTSenior Front-End Developer (Urgent)Other
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- FTChief Technology OfficerSA
- CCLead Delivery Developer - Datapower and WPS DeveloperVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Digital And TransformationOther