Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
The FabricSkin folio has a spillproof faux-leather keyboard surface.
- Easily cleanable keyboard surface
- Offers fairly good protection
- Automatic on/off switch
- Shallow, marshmallowy keystroke
- Odd keyboard layout
- Stand only provides one angle
Perhaps not one for super-high-speed typists, but good for kids or multi-user use cases where its easily-cleaned keyboard surface would come in handy.
Price$ 170.00 (AUD)
This keyboard folio has a single sheet of some kind of synthetic fabric as a keyboard surface, finished to a faux-leather texture between the keys and a smooth, plasticy finish on the keys themselves.
The single-membrane design, with just a tiny pinprick-hole above the 'delete' key for a status light, makes the keyboard water-resistant. It's not submersible, but will withstand the odd spill or brief exposure to the elements.
Keys have barely any travel, and are a little too marshmallowy for my taste with no clear 'click' on activation. Delineation between the keys is good, but I still found myself hitting the wrong key far more often than I'm used to.
The Keyboard Folio uses an interesting layout where the 'Tab' key is merged with 'Q', and 'Caps Lock' with 'A', allowing for wider alphabetic keys. Read just how annoying I found that in my Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air review. It adds an unnecessary learning curve, and I'm unconvinced as to the benefit of the slightly wider keys it allows.
Connection is via Bluetooth, and the keyboard runs off an internal battery that's charged via a micro-USB port. I wish we could see a Lightning port so you could use the iPad Air's own cable for charging, but I can imagine the complexity and licensing involved would be more trouble than that small advantage would be worth.
The case holds onto the iPad via its top two corners, and has cutouts to allow you to reach the volume buttons, lock switch, and power button. There's also a cutout for the camera lens.
When typing, the bottom of the iPad (or the left-hand edge, if you think of it in portrait mode) magnetically latches on to the keyboard just above the number row, holding it upright in a typing position. It's a solid setup, and works well on a desk or other flat surface. I was able to balance it on my lap, though it wasn't quite as stable or comfortable.
Placing the iPad in typing position turns the keyboard on, and folding it over or closing the cover turns it off. The only button on the keyboard (well, except all the keys) is a tiny Bluetooth 'connect' button on the side next to the micro-USB port.
The case is 18.5mm thick – around 2.5 times the iPad Air’s 7.5mm, and weighs 425 grams – a little less than the Air’s own 469g, bringing the total weight to a manageable 894g.
Altogether, the FabricSkin Keyboard folio offers good protection and a resilient, easily-cleanable keyboard surface. I'm unconvinced by the key layout which so stunted my typing ability, but it's likely something that anyone could get used to in time.
Recommended for kids (e.g. with iPads used for school), or in multi-user settings (such as iPads used for surveys, mobile POS, registrations, etc) due to its easy-cleanable keyboard.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Alcatel PLUS 12 Takes Portable Productivity to New Heights with First 2-In-1
- Tech Timeline: The iPad first goes on sale
- New 9.7-inch iPad teardown reveals it's basically an original iPad Air with minor tweaks
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 is like a giant Note7
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTApplication Support Technical LeadQLD
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- CC.net DeveloperNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystOther
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTEngineer - Unix/LinuxOther
- FTLead Network Architect - $800pdOther
- FTPermanent .Net Developer roleACT
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureWA
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CC.Net / AngularJS DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- FTSharePoint Admin & Developer- Australian Citizens onlyOther
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTIntegration Solution Architect - $800 per dayOther