Linksys Network Storage Link with Maxtor OneTouch II
- Easy to set up, cheap and flexible
- It's slow
The Linksys Storage Link is an economical NAS option.
Price$ 159.95 (AUD)
We like the bring-your-own-storage approach of the Linksys Network Storage Link, which gives you the flexibility to connect it to any USB 2.0 hard drive to create a networked hard-drive solution.
The two USB 2.0 ports on the Network Storage Link let you add one or two hard drives, and the device can back up one drive to the other. One of the ports also lets you mount USB flash drives; to do this, you'll need to install the Storage Link's utility into your Windows system tray.
We tested the Network Storage Link with a 300GB Maxtor OneTouch II drive. Linksys and Maxtor, at the time of writing, were co-marketing this pair of products.
Its performance was slow compared with that of the rest of the NAS units we have tested, probably because the Storage Link uses external USB drives rather than faster internal IDE drives.
On the other hand, we liked the quality of the installation and setup utilities. The Linksys Windows setup wizard recognises your drive, sets the Network Storage Link's IP address and formats the drive. One quirk: the Network Storage Link uses a proprietary format on the drive, which can then no longer be attached directly to a computer via USB.
Once you connect and format your drive, the Network Storage Link's Web-based utility sets up shared folders, users, groups and passwords. Conveniently, the Web utility is set up so that users can access it and change their own passwords from their own PCs without delving into the administration portion of the tools. This keeps the unit secure while relieving the administrator of such mundane tasks.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCTRIM Support OfficerSA
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA
- FTTelco Core Network Support EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager | High Profile 4 year Transformation ProjectQLD
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCService Integration and Delivery Manager- SIAMNSW
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointQLD
- CCJEE DeveloperACT
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- CCIteration Manager - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCTest LeadNSW
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTCRM Business Analysis Senior ConsultantOther
- FTApplication Support Maintenance & Patching AnalystOther
- TPFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnology and Strategy Architecture ManagerQLD
- FTProcess Specialist (Continuous Improvement)Other
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTSalesforce ArchitectOther