LG Slim (GSA-E50L)
- Wonderfully lightweight, bundled with additional features, sleek and stylish
- Not the fastest DVD burner on the market, included USB cable is restrictively short
The LG Slim (GSA-E50L) is a reasonably priced external DVD drive that puts portability and usability at the forefront. Road warriors will be sure to appreciate its lightweight dimensions, though impatient users will find the slow burn times grating.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
If there's one good thing to come out of the next-gen DVD format war, it's the plummeting price range of standard-definition optical drives, which are now more affordable than ever. Those who have yet to commit to either Blu-ray or HD DVD are truly spoiled for choice when it comes to fast and efficient DVD burners. In fact, it presents a compelling reason to hold off on taking the high definition plunge altogether (for a little while at least).
The LG Slim (GSA-E50L) is a stylish new entry into the external DVD writer family. The great advantage of external drives is their convenience and versatility. They are naturally a lot less hassle to set up and can be quickly swapped between different machines, making them ideal for technophobes and notebook users alike. As a further boost to its portability credentials, the LG Slim is completely powered by USB, with no batteries or electricity cables required. It can burn DVD+R / RW, DVD-R / RW, and DVD-RAM discs at up to 8x speeds and is also Vista certified.
In addition, it offers the added security of SecurDisc, a new system designed to protect burned data. Using the specially adapted version of Ahead Nero, you can switch on a number of features as part of the burn process, including password activation. As an added bonus, the Slim (GSA-E50L) also comes equipped with LightScribe, which allows users to label their own discs via laser etching.
As its name suggests, the Slim (GSA-E50L) is an impressively compact piece of hardware, measuring just 6.14x6.5x0.84in and weighing in at a measly 30 grams. For those who are frequently on the road, the ability to slip the device into a briefcase or handbag is sure to make life that tiny bit easier. Naturally, the drive can also be used for the playback of DVD media; a handy option for tablets and ultraportables which lack internal optical drives. Although we were pleased by the sleek dimensions of this unit, the included USB cable is unfortunately just as tiny. This caused us no small amount of frustration during testing, and we recommend everyone to invest in a longer cable. (No doubt you already have a few candidates lying around the house already.) Apart from skimping on cord length, LG has strived to make the DVD burning process as user-friendly as possible, and we're pleased to report that it has achieved this goal with flying colours. Thanks to its Flash drive interface, transferring data from hard drive to disc is a simple matter of dragging and dropping files from one folder to another. The finalising process is achieved with a click of the right-hand button, and the whole procedure couldn't be simpler.
It took the LG Slim 25 minutes and 12 seconds to burn 4.2GB of raw files to a DVD-R double-layered disc. Formating a DVD-R DL disc took a little over a minute. While this might not sound impressive, it's important to remember that the device is powered solely through the USB port, sharing the notebook's battery. Portability is the key ingredient here, rather than dazzling write speeds, and as such, the Slim delivers on its premise.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCNetwork Engineer - Cleveland BasedQLD
- TPLead Data Business AnalystQLD
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Project SchedulerQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTInfrastructure Manager / Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCLean Six Sigma Black Belt 6 month contractVIC
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTSenior Systems Engineer, Wintel, VMWareOther
- FTAWS Data ArchitectsOther
- FTLean Agile CoachOther
- CCAgile Business Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- CCTest LeadNSW
- CCIT Project SchedulerNSW
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Vehicle Fleet ManagementQLD
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD