Brought to you by Norton Symantec
- Twin HD tuner, 160 Gb HDD, good picture quality, HDMI
- Dividing recorded segments very slow, no USB
A good option if you want to record HD TV and can live without the minor shortcomings.
Price$ 1,124.00 (AUD)
The LST-5402P is a dual HD tuner set top box with a 160GB internal hard drive. It has a few minor problems, including slow on-screen editing and some small recording issues, but for those after a HD set top box with hard disk recording capabilities, this device is a good bet.
Recording can be done via the timer or manually, and both are fairly easy to do. As this is a twin tuner device, two channels can be recorded at the same, as you would expect, but both channels can not be recorded via the timer if the programs overlap. Therefore, in those circumstances at least one program has to be recorded manually.
The timeshift function also works well with no lag present when pausing and replaying live TV. When play is pressed again the recorded sections begins a few seconds before the time 'pause' was pressed - a handy inclusion if you missed a few vital seconds of viewing while scrambling to find the remote.
There are 20 slots for timer recording which should be ample for most people. You are given some minor editing options on the device itself, including cropping and combining, but these functions took a ridiculously long time to perform. Renaming and sorting recordings after this painful task however, was straightforward. We found the quality of recorded video to be quite good, and while there were some minor compression artifacts, for the most part video was smooth and sharp.
Picture-in-picture mode works well and a convenient 'swap' button lets you switch back and forth between the two channels. We found that once or twice when switching between channels there was slight audio sync problem, but it didn't pose much of an issue as this was corrected automatically within a few seconds.
The mildly transparent menu system and the remote are well laid out and easy to use, although the remote is a tad on the large side. The LCD display on the unit itself also scrolls to display the channel title, which is always a valued inclusion.
There is no USB port included, meaning your files are stuck on the device. However there are a host of other connections that should satisfy most users, including two composite, a component, RGB, s-video, HDMI as well as a coaxial and optical audio output.
While there are some minor shortcomings, if these don't bother you too much the LST-5402P is an appealing HD hard disk recorder.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- JBL confirm Link Bar for ANZ
- Kogan open pre-orders for new cheap OLED TV
- Kogan launches new affordable Smart TV range
- Sonos One finally gets Australian Alexa support
- Fetch TV and Netflix Expand Partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Overwatch Devs celebrate Anniversary event by sharing insights into the game's future
- Nokia 8 Sirocco review: Full, in-depth review
- HTC promise more Edge Sense and a better camera with the HTC U12+
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies