- Looks good, Sounds great for movies, Good price, HDMI and USB support
- Bass underwhelming when listening to music, Obtrusive speakers may not suit everyone
An excellent offering from LG that combines great sound with good looks at an affordable price.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
After our first look at the LG LH-T9656IA home theatre system we expected to find that it cost well over $1000. So when we looked at the specifications and were greeted with a very attractive price tag, we were extremely impressed. This package is one of the best value for money home theatre systems on the market, offering exceptional sound quality along with great style and HDMI support.
Four identical speakers, a smaller centre speaker, a sub and a DVD player are included in this package. The four speakers sit at a perfect listening height as they attach to large bases and sport a pleasing aesthetic. They are on the large side however, so some people may find them slightly obtrusive. The sub is also well designed with the cone firing downwards instead of straight forward, to give extra vibration through the floor.
The DVD player is fitted with the usual component, S-video and composite outputs, as well as HDMI, which is becoming increasingly popular in home entertainment systems these days. There is also a digital optical audio and a USB input. The USB input comes in very handy, allowing you to view MP3, DiVX and JPEG files directly from your flash drive, and the intuitive menu system makes the process simple.
Set up was fairly straight forward as all speaker wires are colour coded. There is no auto calibration option included however, so the settings for speaker volume and distance have to be set manually.
In movie testing the LH-T9656IA really shone, handling the array of sounds scattered through the lobby shoot-out scene in The Matrix very well. The speakers sounded great with everything, from the effects to the vocals and even the soundtrack, showing no noticeable weakness in any area. The directional qualities of the speakers were excellent and were complemented by the sub. It provided perfectly well balanced bass, with ample thuds in nightclub scenes, and plenty of rumbles during explosions. The package performed very well in movie playback, and with the inclusion of the HDMI output we really can't fault this system in terms of either image or sound quality.
It is hard to find a system that sounds perfect with both movies and music as the sound design is often quite different in each case. While we did find the LH-T9656IA slightly weaker for music playback, it was a fairly minor disparity. The subwoofer felt somewhat lacking on playback, especially with music such as hip-hop and rock that requires a big, full sound to support the vocals. Vocals and general mid-range deliverance was fairly dominant suiting operatic and classical styles well.
There are plenty of sound modes to choose from such as studio, club, hall, with some suiting different types of music much better than others. Nevertheless we would have liked to see the inclusion of an equaliser to adjust settings manually. Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS sound fields are included, as well as XTS (Excellent True Sound) and XTS pro - the latter having little effect on playback.
All in all this is a great package from LG that we can thoroughly recommend.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- FTSAP PM Functional ConsultantOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTIT Security SpecialistACT
- CCChange ManagerWA
- FTWeb DeveloperOther
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTSenior Agile Digital Business Analyst - Immediate StartOther
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTPlanner - Network Planning and Strategy (Telco Environment)Other
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- TPAudio Visual Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Cloud HostingVIC
- FTLand Access Coordinator / Lead - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware ArchitectACT
- FTSAP Change Management LeadOther
- FTSAP ISU Device management-FunctionalVIC
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTWorkforce Planning AnalystOther
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther