The Blue Tick of approval
- Sleek, compact design, HSDPA 7.2, Telstra Blue Tick, access to Next G and BigPond services
- Glossy front attracts fingerprints, mediocre Web browser, no A2DP Bluetooth
The KF390 is a competitive offering for rural consumers, but it is also great for city slickers too. It won’t blow you away with features, but this is a solid handset that does the job with minimal fuss.
Price$ 559.00 (AUD)
LG's KF390 is the first HSDPA 7.2Mbps mobile phone to feature Telstra's Blue Tick of approval, which means it should have excellent coverage in regional areas without the need for an external antenna.
Gone are the days when phones designed for use in rural Australia were large and overbearing in size. Although the KF390 isn't the smallest phone we've reviewed, its relatively compact shape and design feels comfortable in the hand. It feels reasonably well built and the spring-operated slider is firm and responsive. The handset is finished in a dark, metallic blue colour and has a glossy front. It's an appealing aesthetic, but the front of the handset is a fingerprint magnet and can be difficult to view in direct sunlight.
The fact that the KF390 is HSDPA 7.2 capable is certainly its most impressive feature. We tested the handset over Telstra's Next G network and were fairly impressed with browsing speeds. Being a Telstra handset, the KF390 offers access to a host of content including FOXTEL mobile, Yellow Pages, BigPond Music and WhereIs maps. For these services, loading times are fairly quick. For mobile Web browsing, however, it's best to look elsewhere — the browser included on the KF390 isn't ideal for rendering Web sites that haven't been optimised for phones.
We weren't able to test call quality in a regional area, but performance in metropolitan Sydney was fairly impressive. Call clarity is good and volume at its highest setting is optimal, although a little boost in noisy environments would have been ideal.
As a multimedia handset, the KF390 is fair but not outstanding. A music player with basic playback support, including repeat, shuffle and a preset equaliser, is the highlight. Unfortunately, the included headphones have a proprietary connection and the absence of A2DP Bluetooth severely limits the music playback capabilities of this phone.
Other features include SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging with T9 predictive text input, a 2-megapixel camera that doubles as a video recorder and a range of PIM functions that includes an alarm clock, calendar, notes, tasks and a calculator. There is also a handy tip calculator (ideal if you are travelling to the US or Europe) in addition to a unit converter, world clock and stopwatch.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Manager - Records ManagementVIC
- FTTest ManagerACT
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- FTFinancial Manager - January StartACT
- FTQuality Assurance ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTCloud Test Engineer - AWS/Azure - IaaSOther
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)NSW
- CCCRM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- TPSenior Test Analyst - GIS DrupalNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- TPCapacity PlannerNSW