- SecurDisc technology, is able to read badly scratched media, fast DVD burns
- Burnt double-layer discs weren't readable in our older test drive, decryption of discs can take up to 5min
The GSA-H55L offers a slight speed boost over its predecessor for burning single and double-layer DVDs, and the SecurDisc technology makes it an attractive option for businesses that often need to ship discs between premises.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
LG's GSA-H55L burner offers more than just an increase in speed over its predecessor, the GSA-H42L. It also ships with the latest version of Nero Essentials, which features SecurDisc - a security technology co-developed by LG and Nero to keep your data safe.
Physically, the GSA-H55L is a 5.25in drive with a short depth (17cm) and an IDE interface (instead of SATA). It comes with black and beige bezels, so it should suit most type of PC enclosures. With a speed rating of 20x for single-layer DVDs and 48x for CDs, the drive can get quite loud when operating at its maximum speeds and we did feel some vibration through our Lian Li PC-101 test enclosure.
At a speed of 20x, the H55L can burn 4GB to a single-layer DVD+R disc in 5min 7sec, and to a DVD-R disc in just 4min 43sec. We used Verbatim media rated at 16x for our tests, but the burner was able to burn to them at the faster speed. We also used Laser media rated at 16x, but this didn't always let us burn at 20x. In fact, on some occasions it only let us burn at up to 12x (which took just over 6min). All the single-layer discs we created were readable in the H55L and also in older-generation drives such our Pioneer 107D. The drive can read DVD-/+R discs at a rate of 16x, which translated to a time of around 8min 42sec when reading back our 4GB of burnt data.
For double-layer discs, the write speed is 10x, which allowed 8GB of data to be written in 14min 24sec to our 10x Verbatim discs. It can read back data from double-layer discs at a rate of 12x, but the read time in our tests was identical to the write time. Nero allows for double-layer discs to be burnt as DVD-ROM-type discs so that they can be readable in older drives. We did this to our discs, but they still weren't readable in our Pioneer drive.
For security, Nero's SecurDisc feature allows burnt discs to be encrypted either with a password or a digital signature. Encrypted discs are only accessible with a signature key or a password. We secured a DVD-R disc with a digital signature, which added only a few seconds to the overall burn time. Using the key to unlock the data took about 5min. This feature can be handy in situations where discs need to be sent via mail; only the person with the key or password will be able to access the data on the encrypted discs and these should ideally be sent to the recipient by the person who created them. The specification sheet claims that SecurDisc can also improve the readability of damaged discs. We tested this claim by tossing around an encrypted disc like a frisbee and stepping on it a few times. It was read back in 14min, which is 6min more than it took when it was in perfect condition.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Intel's Core i9 and X299 enable crazy RAID configurations for a price
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- FTMobile App DeveloperOther
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Business Analyst - PageUp implementationOther
- FTSenior DevOps Consultant, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTIT Field Services ManagerOther
- TPSenior Business Intelligence AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCAutomation Test Analyst Guidewire QLD
- FTSolution Architect (Office 365 Specialist)SA
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- TPInfrastructre Architect | Appian BPM SoftwareQLD
- TPAgile Senior Business AnalystVIC
- FTPL/ SQL developerOther
- CCTechnical ArchitectQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - BI, Analytics & Big DataOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerceOther
- CCProject Administration TechnologyQLD
- CCSenior Big Data EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyNSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT