- Reliable across all formats, very quick write and read times, LightScribe capability
- Nothing notable
An excellent, reliable performer with good write and read times, as well as the added extra LightScribe feature.
Price$ 109.00 (AUD)
The LG GSA-22L is a speedy DVD burner that includes LightScribe, a laser printing technology which allows you to burn a label onto LightScribe-capable discs.
The GSA-22L has an ATAPI interface and a buffer size of 2MB. During testing, we didn't notice any excessive vibration or noise when the drive was spinning at its highest speeds. For consistency, the drive was once again installed in a Thermaltake Shark case, with drive rails holding the GSA-22L drive securely in place. First impressions were positive, as this is a very quiet DVD burner. Noise increases slightly when burning to regular CDs, but it isn't enough to become a concern and, in any case, CD burns are usually over in 3min 18secs.
The GSA-22L performed all of our tests reliably and its results were quite speedy. For DVD-R and DVD+R discs, just one second separated read times (at 5min 35sec and 5min 36sec respectively) while the drive also impressed reading back these discs in just 4min 46sec and 4min 45sec respectively. These figures compare favourably with the recently reviewed DRU-830A, often taking up to a minute less to complete the same burns.
The drive can read and write to most DVD formats on the market, including DVD-RAM. This includes both DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL discs well. Once again, they were filled with 8GB worth of music and video files and we experienced no problems reading back these discs in other drives. Although the GSA-22L is capable of writing to DVD-R DL discs at a maximum rate of 8x, our Verbatim tests discs were 4x, so this is the speed at which the drive burnt to our discs. The difference in burn time between these two formats was almost seven minutes, but both types of media were read back by the drive in an almost identical time of just under 13 minutes. Importantly, playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed a smooth read curve.
The GSA-22L also features LightScribe. Using a LightScribe-capable disc, which has a special coating on it that reacts to the wavelength of the laser beam, images and labels can be burnt directly onto the disc.
Although LightScribe is handy if you want to burn professional-looking discs, it isn't the quickest option. Some of the latest printers can print directly onto discs and they often take a fraction of the time it takes to burn a LightScribe label.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Go to Market programVIC
- FTMobile App Developer - XamarinWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager Consulting ITQLD
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTSolutions Architect (Enterprise Infrastructure)ACT
- FTDesign Delivery Manager - Civil Engineering Background X2Other
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- CCCRM Support DeveloperWA
- FTReporting Consultant with AlteryxOther
- FTBilling Consultant - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTSenior Asset Information OfficerOther
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSenior Marketing SpecialistVIC
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTAdministrator - Network InfrastructureOther
- TP.Net DeveloperWA
- TPSenior Service DeskVIC