LG GSA-H10A DVD Burner
- Easily upgradable firmware
- Burnt DVD+R DL discs may not be compatible with older drives
While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performace was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall driver than its predecessor
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Replacing the ever-popular GSA-4167B is LG's GSA-H10A Super Multi DVD burner, which can burn to the majority of media that are available on the market, including DVD-RAM media (without cartridge).
The drive doesn't look any different from its predecessor and it only possesses a slightly faster DVD+R DL writing speed.
It can write to DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 16x, but this speed is only reached at the end of the burn. A full write to store-bought TDK-branded DVD+R and DVD-R discs took 5mins 31sec and 5min 39sec, respectively, and tests with Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed smooth write curves.
While its 8x DVD+R DL writing capability is faster than the 6x speed of the GSA-4167B, it burnt to our 2.4x Verbatim discs at 6x. It took six minutes longer to burn to these discs than the GSA-4167B. This speed is also over 10 minutes slower than the time recorded by the Pioneer DVR-A11XLA, which has been the number one burner on our Best Buys chart.
Playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed a smooth read curve and all burnt discs were read back perfectly on other PCs. Even though the drive automatically changed the book-type of the DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM to make them more compatible with older drives, these discs could not be read in our Pioneer A07 drive.
LG ships the drive with a utility for updating the firmware of the drive over the Internet. We used this utility without any problems to update the firmware to JL03 for testing.
Verdict: While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performance was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall drive than its predecessor.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBig Data Analyst/Business AnalystNSW
- CCChange and Communication SpecialistWA
- CCMultiple Java Developer roles!WA
- FTTester (Dynamics AX)Other
- FTSAP HR LeadOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Program OfficerQLD
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- FTInfrastructure Solution Architect - Network SecurityOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- TPSQL DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AgileOther
- TPSecurity Analyst/AdvisorWA
- FTData Migration DeveloperNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerNSW
- CCOffice365 SpecialistNSW
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTData Centre Support Engineers (VMWare/ Windows Server)Other
- FTNetwork EngineerVIC