LG GSA-H10A DVD Burner
- Easily upgradable firmware
- Burnt DVD+R DL discs may not be compatible with older drives
While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performace was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall driver than its predecessor
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Replacing the ever-popular GSA-4167B is LG's GSA-H10A Super Multi DVD burner, which can burn to the majority of media that are available on the market, including DVD-RAM media (without cartridge).
The drive doesn't look any different from its predecessor and it only possesses a slightly faster DVD+R DL writing speed.
It can write to DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 16x, but this speed is only reached at the end of the burn. A full write to store-bought TDK-branded DVD+R and DVD-R discs took 5mins 31sec and 5min 39sec, respectively, and tests with Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed smooth write curves.
While its 8x DVD+R DL writing capability is faster than the 6x speed of the GSA-4167B, it burnt to our 2.4x Verbatim discs at 6x. It took six minutes longer to burn to these discs than the GSA-4167B. This speed is also over 10 minutes slower than the time recorded by the Pioneer DVR-A11XLA, which has been the number one burner on our Best Buys chart.
Playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD Speed showed a smooth read curve and all burnt discs were read back perfectly on other PCs. Even though the drive automatically changed the book-type of the DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM to make them more compatible with older drives, these discs could not be read in our Pioneer A07 drive.
LG ships the drive with a utility for updating the firmware of the drive over the Internet. We used this utility without any problems to update the firmware to JL03 for testing.
Verdict: While it boasts a slight speed improvement and its single layer performance was solid, only time (and firmware updates) will tell if it's a better overall drive than its predecessor.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCMid Level .Net AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst ? Digital ProgramQLD
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- CCIT Portfolio Management AnalystWA
- CCICT Desktop Support OfficerACT
- CCiMIS SpecialistNSW
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTProgram ManagerSA
- FTService Desk Technical LeadOther
- TP.Net Web DeveloperSA
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Integrated Care ProgramQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCNetwork Designer - TelcoVIC
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCProject Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- FTSAP HR Team LeadOther
- FTTechnical WriterOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsACT