- DVD-RAM Support, Great variety of formats, Fairly quick
- DVD-RAM speeds slow
For single-layer 4.7GB formats, this drive is superb, producing some stunning times. It's also very well-priced and, for these reasons, should be a hit. However, those who are more interested in using 8.5GB double-layer formats will find better deals elsewhere.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
For some time now, LG has been churning out prized DVD writers. Combining raw DVD+R speed with decent performance across a range of other formats, LG writers have tended to seal the deal with their enviable price tags, and if that's not enough, LG can promise support for a standard not covered by any of the other manufacturers: DVD-RAM.
We've long been lamenting the baleful reputation of the rewriteable DVD-RAM format, since it is much easier to use than DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Unfortunately, speed has always been something of a problem for it.
In the case of the GSA-4167B, the eight-speed DVD+RW format is faster by far than the 5x DVD-RAM facilities, and you can expect to wait for an extra four or five minutes when copying over 4GB of data to a DVD-RAM. With the speed gap ever more apparent, we are finding it hard to continue extolling DVD-RAM's virtues.
However, for those who primarily want rewriteable optical media and aren't too bothered about speed, we would suggest it's still good to have a convenient format at the ready.
And thankfully, the LG is no one-trick pony, offering a great variety of formats. Even DVD-R DL is included, although you'll want to stick to 6x DVD+R DL for the fastest 8.5GB double-layer results. However, while it's quick, the LG is by no means the quickest writer available.
Indeed, whether you want the LG will depend very much on your priorities. For DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL, there are undoubtedly faster drives on the market. But should straight DVD+R or DVD+RW be your main focus, you won't find a better drive.
The LG copied 3GB of data to a DVD+R in four minutes and 49 seconds, and to a DVD+RW in five minutes and 47 seconds. That's fast.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- FTSalesForce DeveloperOther
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCReporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisQLD
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst- Data Analytics & banking backgroundOther
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- CCWindows & Linux Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperOther
- FTios DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTSenior/Lead Front End DeveloperOther
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTAPI Developer / Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther