- Great format support, reasonably well laid out, nice array of options
- Flimsy construction in some areas, image quality lacking
The LG DP9821P is a reasonable option for those after a portable DVD player, but image quality and design problems keep it from standing out from the pack.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
First impressions of LG's latest portable DivX DVD player did not bode well for the system. The case exterior is modelled in a cheap-looking pearly plastic, making it look almost like a jewellery box, rather than a portable entertainment system.
Upon being opened, however, the system redeemed itself, presenting a well-organised, if not revolutionary, setup of buttons covering all the main functions of the system. We particularly liked the placement of the string of control buttons (play, pause etc.) along the front, giving easy access during car trips without blocking the screen.
The remote is equally well laid out, and was very responsive from all the angles we tested. It did, however, feel a little flimsy, like holding a piece of cardboard. This problem is also present in the system itself; the DVD lid seemed a little weak and perhaps not up to the task of long trips in the hands of small children.
The 7" screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9, although playback of 4:3 videos is also possible. The player supports a huge variety of formats, including music CD, DivX, DVD-Video, JPEG and MP3-CD. It is, however, region locked, so it will only play region 4 DVDs.
Another weak element of the player is the display itself. While adequate for most viewing in our tests, there was noticeable blurring whenever text was displayed. Small disclaimers and credits could be extremely difficult to read, and looking at it from any kind of angle darkened the image and heightened this problem. The colours and brightness were also somewhat washed out at times, but you can only expect so much from a 7" LCD.
Quoted battery life is three hours, and our testing indicated that's about what you'll get--just enough for two average length movies. The system comes packaged with a battery pack, power connector and a car adapter, so it can run from your car and ease the pain of a short battery life.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- FTSystem Specialist - Operational Technology SystemsOther
- FTCustomer & Sales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- CCMid - Level SAP Test AnalystQLD
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTTechnical Product ArchitectQLD
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTSecurity Analyst - Operational SupportOther
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC