- Excellent treble, great clarity and definition in all audio, easy to setup
- Slightly weak sub, bass tends to be ever-so-slightly slow at times
This is a great choice for those looking to buy a complete surround sound system that's a step above most other prepackaged units. It does cost more, but the extra quality nevertheless makes it great value.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
LG's AR702TS home theatre system is a 6.1 speaker set combined with a receiver. An excellent option for users looking for a complete package, the high quality of the components and relatively inexpensive RRP make this product great value. Although it still has a few problems, overall it's definitely one of the better home theatre / receiver combos that we've seen.
The AR702TS boasts excellent audio quality, especially in the treble range. Bass and the mid range are both clear and well defined; although at times we did notice that the bass tended to be ever-so-slightly slow, hanging for a split second on quick beats. Treble, on the other hand, is almost flawless, displaying crystal clarity and sharpness through to the very highest notes thrown at it. The entire audio range is well balanced, without any particular frequencies overpowering others.
Volume is adjustable in increments of 0.5dB. Even at the highest volumes, the system avoids excessive distortion, maintaining a clear and full sound. Unfortunately, however, it seems that despite coming with an absolutely massive subwoofer, that these high volumes aren't replicable in the very lowest frequencies. Bass is still loud, but the sub isn't capable of producing the levels of wall-shaking rumble that we would have liked to see. Although the amount of bass is perfectly reasonable for the majority of listeners, those who like to see their furniture vibrate across the room every time there's an explosion may be slightly disappointed.
The design is quite standard, with tall standing front speakers, and horizontal front centre and rear centre speakers. The sub is actually incredibly large, so make sure you've got space for it if you're considering purchasing this system! The receiver is quite simple, with volume and input controls on the front, and a plentitude of composite and analogue audio inputs on the rear, as well as component, coaxial, optical audio, and three HDMI connections (two inputs and one output). A USB connection is also available on the front panel.
The setup was quite quick, considering the size of the system, and we didn't have to screw any stands or wall mounts together, which is always nice. All the necessary wiring is included, and calibrating the speakers is quite easy using the inbuilt speaker tone function.
Inbuilt DTS sound field options really help to highlight various types of music, and unlike with some products we've seen, changing the sound field does create a very noticeable change to the audio.
The AR702TS is a fantastic product, and although relative to other prepackaged systems it's quite expensive, its quality is also significantly greater. Bass fiends are probably the only listeners who wouldn't be satisfied by the system's audio performance, and its incredible treble makes it a fantastic option for lovers of high suspense drama movies or classical music.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTLAMP Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTDesktop Support EngineerSA
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- CCProgram Director- Service Integration and Management (SIAM)NSW
- FTSharePoint Technical Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- CCWCEM DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- CCTesting SpecialistVIC