LG 52LG70YD LCD television
The LG 52LG70YD is a no-frills LCD HDTV that produces good-looking images
- Excellent sound, handy on-screen menus
- Lacks picture-in-picture
The LG 52LG70YD LCD television is a no-frills LCD HDTV that produces good-looking images.
Price$ 4,499.00 (AUD)
It bears a family resemblance to its plasma sibling, the LG 50PG30FD, but the LG Electronics 52LG70YD LCD HDTV is clearly the more advanced model.
Whereas the LG 50PG30's main menu starts with six icons, the LG 52LG70YD adds two more, Input and USB. And unlike with the 50PG30FD, you can plug a flash drive into the LG 52LG70YD to view photos and listen to MP3s.
This model packs four HDMI ports (one more than the LG 50PG30FD) and two optical audio outputs into its 52-inch frame. But it lacks a picture-in-picture mode.
Setup is simple: Well-placed connectors and a setup wizard that asks whether the set needs home or store optimization help things along. And the well-designed, logical on-screen menus simplify day-to-day.
When you press the remote's Input button to change from your cable input to your DVD player (for example), the TV displays icons for all of your inputs; the inputs that are turned on are highlighted and grouped together at the front. Want to adjust the aspect ratio or the TV's backlighting? Press the Q (for Quick) Menu button for instant access to these common options. Those buttons--and others on the long, thin remote--are of good size and are well-placed for the user's thumb. Though the remote lacks backlighting, it (unlike the LG 50PG30FD's remote) can be programmed for use with other devices.
Our PC World Test Center judges rated this model's image quality as average. I saw several faces with the unnatural color and texture of an oil painting rather than human flesh. All of the judges noticed pixelation and other artifacts in various tests, especially during fast action and dissolves. Some images in our tests seemed a bit soft, too, but in general we found the image quality pleasing.
The LG 52LG70YD is a very good HDTV at an acceptable price. But a better TV in the same size category (the Samsung PN50A760) is available at the same price, and you can find pretty good sets (like the Sharp LC46D85X) that are less expensive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTProject Manager - PLMOther
- FTProject SchedulersQLD
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- CCSenior ETL Developer/DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- TPCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- TPSenior DBAVIC
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- CCSAP Finance AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystOther