LG 50PS80ED plasma television
This LG plasma can record TV to an internal hard drive
- 250gb internal hard drive, striking frameless design, good overall picture quality
- Overly sharp picture by default
The LG PS80 plasma is a great all-in-one solution for watching broadcast television as well as high-definition content. It only suffers from a few small flaws.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
The LG 50PS80ED is a good 50in plasma television for anyone who watches a lot of broadcast television and wants a TV that looks great. It has a few features that set it apart from the crowd, including an internal hard drive.
The 50PS80ED sports LG’s ‘frameless’ design, with a sheet of glass covering both the screen and the bezel. It’s a great concept, but we think it could have been improved if the bezel was finished in the same colour as the screen itself. A soft blue edge light on the bezel glows when the television is on, while another flashes when changing the volume or channel using the remote. We really like the design apart from the grey screen and high reflectivity.
The LG 50PS80ED has all the ports you’d expect from a high-end plasma. Four HDMI ports, as well as dual inputs for S-Video, composite and component are situated on the side and rear, along with VGA and audio connectors. A USB port is used for multimedia playback and the television’s Time Machine Link system, which allows the transfer of recorded video files if the TV's internal drive is full.
The on-screen menu — which you’ll be seeing a lot of if you’re a fan of recording television — is clear and concise. We found the digital television menus easy to navigate, but accessing advanced features takes a little more work. The Picture Wizard for fine-tuning the television’s brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation and tint is very useful for novices, and going through this short process dramatically improves the television’s vibrancy.
The internal tuner of the LG 50PS80ED is great. A dual HD tuner is integrated so you can watch one show while recording another. Setting recordings is easy through the on-screen menus; you can set up a recording quickly using the record button on the remote, which brings up a prompt, or through the electronic program guide. Our initial channel scan was speedy and accurate. We’d rate the tuner system in this television as only slightly below the brilliant one in Pioneer’s PDP-LX609A plasma.
Picture quality is the best we’ve seen from LG. One standout was the screen’s great brightness range. Even in a room with fluorescent lights we found the screen vibrant and easy to see at all times. The screen was overly sharp in its default settings, but running through the Picture Wizard improved this considerably. Contrast is an impressive 2,000,000:1. A lot of detail was visible in the darkest scenes of The Dark Knight on Blu-ray, which we watched through an LG BD390 Blu-ray disc player. Upscaling was also good: we watched a few DVD-quality videos and found the image to be smooth and colourful, if not as detailed as Pioneer’s implementation.
LG’s Time Machine plasma television stands out in a market of samey televisions. The internal hard drive cuts down on unnecessary clutter &8212; if you’re a fan of watching and re-watching television, the LG 50PS80ED all you need.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hisense Full HD TV and Refrigerator Top the List in 2017 ProductReview Awards
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTUnix AdministratorACT
- FTCobol DeveloperOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)SA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCVMware EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTBusiness Project Manager - Non ITNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Office 365 Project)Other
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTInformation Security ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- CCDeployment ManagerNSW
- FTJava Developer (API Development)Other
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)NSW
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Blue Chip ClientOther