LG 47LX9500 3D LED television
LG's best LED TV has deep contrast levels and great picture quality
- Great image quality and contrast levels, solid video-on-demand implementation
- Mediocre 3D implementation, reflective screen (although not terribly so), some backlight cloudiness on high contrast edges
LG's best 3D LED television is an excellent all-rounder apart from its mediocre display of 3D content. It has excellent picture quality and a very high contrast ratio, and offers some very well implemented video-on-demand features. Apart from the form-before-function glossy screen and occasional minor backlight cloudiness, the 47LX9500 is an excellent LED television that is among the best on the market.
Price$ 4,099.00 (AUD)
The LG 47LX9500 is a 3D LED television that has excellent image quality and a wide range of useful Internet video-on-demand features. We're not sold on its design and the quality of its 3D decoding, but otherwise it's a stellar LED television.
LG 47LX9500: Design, connectivity and features
The LG 47LX9500 has a very thin bezel surrounding its screen, finished in translucent plastic. It's attractive, but the glossy finish of the LCD panel easily picks up reflections in a bright room. The entire chassis is reasonably slim, measuring 31.6mm at its thickest point; considering that the LED lighting of the LG 47LX9500 is arranged across the rear of the screen rather than around the edges, this is an excellent achievement.
The last backlit LED television we looked at was the Sharp LC52LE700X — its matrix of individually controllable LED lights allowed it to display deep black levels alongside full-brightness whites. LG's approach is similar, with a sheet of white LEDs that use local dimming to dynamically alter brightness levels across the screen.
Four HDMI ports and the usual range of component, composite and VGA connectors make for a solid suite of video inputs. There's also an Ethernet port for connecting to a wired network and dual side-mounted USB host ports for media file playback.
The LG 47LX9500 includes the same class-leading collection of video-on-demand applications as the LG 55LE7500 LED TV. The ease of use of the integrated BigPond Movies service gives this TV a significant advantage over most other manufacturers' IPTV offerings.
LG 47LX9500: Picture quality, motion performance and 3D playback
The LG 47LX9500 has excellent picture quality that rivals competitors like the Samsung Series 7 (UA55C7000) LED, Sony BRAVIA KDL52-LX900 and Sony BRAVIA KDL-46HX800. After running through the television's picture setup wizard we found black levels to be very deep, with the panel effectively disappearing when in a darkened room with no content displayed. With The Dark Knight playing via Blu-ray we saw great detail levels in dim and bright scenes, with fine image detail retained even when the screen was displaying very murky and poorly lit content.
Our only issue with the LG 47LX9500's backlighting manifests in the rare situations where the screen is displaying small, bright areas against a black background — the most common example is watching the ending credits of a movie or television show. We noticed that the backlighting of the 47LX9500 produced a small amount of cloudiness around text, with a slight bloom of light visible. This is only a minor annoyance and is lessened if you've lowered the television's brightness.
Sharpness was slightly high at default settings, but after lowering it we found the LG 47LX9500 could display smooth and detailed 1080p video with no exaggeration of edges or excessive noise. Upscaled 480p DVD content and broadcast television was also handled well.
LG's 3D technology operates in a similar fashion to Samsung's, with active shutter polarised glasses working in tandem with a frame-switching mode on the television itself. Like Samsung, LG's televisions can interpolate 2D content into 3D.
We found the 3D effect with Coraline and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs to be mostly acceptable, but fast on-screen movement introduces visible crosstalk and edge blurring. LG's glasses are the cheapest on the market at the moment at $99, which may be a deciding factor if you've got a large family or 3D-crazy mates.
LG environmental policy and conclusion
LG's environment policy outlines some of the company's sustainability efforts, including minimising its carbon footprint and producing greener products.
The LG 47LX9500 has excellent picture quality and a good range of included features. It's not the best 3D TV on the market, but for regular movie watching it's a great choice.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsVIC
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCICT Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW
- FTData Analyst | $51 p/hrVIC
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTDatabase Developer - SQLACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- TPBI ConsultantNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD