Lexmark Platinum Pro905 inkjet multifunction
An inkjet multifunction with Internet-based widgets and a large paper tray
- Automatic duplexer, 300-sheet paper capacity, Internet-based widgets
- Expensive initial outlay, poor print quality, slow print speeds, some SmartSolutions widgets aren't Mac compatible
With two paper trays, double-sided printing and Lexmark's SmartSolutions platform, the Platinum Pro905 is a good choice for businesses that print a lot of documents, but it is expensive.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Lexmark’s Platinum Pro905 is the company's top-of-the-range inkjet multifunction printer. It offers wireless connectivity and Internet-based widgets to make it easier to print, scan and copy both at home and in the office.
The Lexmark Platinum Pro905 is almost identical to the cheaper Prestige Pro805, offering the same connectivity options, touch-sensitive control panel and automatic document feeder. However, Lexmark has added a 33.6Kbps fax modem and a second 150-sheet paper feeder to the bottom of the Platinum Pro905, for a total input capacity of 300 pages.
The inkjet multifunction connects over USB, Ethernet and 802.11n Wi-Fi, and can read SD, MemoryStick, xD and MMC formats through its card reader. As the PictBridge-compatible USB port on the front will recognise USB flash drives, and will even print many document and picture file formats provided the printer is connected to a computer via USB. Memory card and flash drive contents can be accessed from computers connected via USB or over a local network, with a Lexmark utility allowing the latter.
A standout feature of Lexmark’s refreshed multifunction range is the SmartSolutions touch screen: a 4.3in control panel whose quick access buttons (cancel, start and home) conveniently disappear when they aren’t an available option. The control panel isn’t adjustable, but sits at a comfortable angle for use on even higher desks.
Lexmark’s SmartSolutions features are essentially Internet-based widgets that allow you to view basic Web feeds like Google Calendar, RSS feeds and photo viewers, as well as to create one-touch copy and scan buttons with specific settings profiles. Widgets like "Scan to Email" and "Eco Copy" are definitely useful. A Web-based interface could be used for a similar purpose, but the easy set up and ability to sync the same widgets to multiple printers make SmartSolutions useful for printer administrators.
The SmartSolutions Web site lets you configure widgets for your Lexmark printer.
Though the site works on both Windows and Mac OS X computers, not all widgets are platform agnostic. For instance, Lexmark's much touted "Business Card Scan" widget — which scans, OCRs and automatically inserts contact information into selected address book applications — can only be installed using Windows, since it requires specific OCR and e-mail client software on the connected PC.
Though the SmartSolutions widgets mean you won't have to constantly fiddle with scan settings, you can access them on the printer when necessary. There is also an e-mail address book and history, so you can quickly send scanned images to co-workers without requiring an e-mail client on connected PCs. The scanned images themselves are detailed and of good quality, though the 600dpi maximum resolution won't suit specialist tasks like scanning negatives and slides.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|Lexmark Platinum Pro905||$599||Inkjet||15.7||8.2||17.4||3.9||19s||40s|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX810FW||$399||Inkjet||24||8.6||24.8||8.8||29.6||1m 18s|
|Lexmark Prestige Pro805||$499||Inkjet||16.2||6.6||14.5||2.5||42||2|
|HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless||$499||Inkjet||22.7||14.6||22.9||8.9||31||1m 10s|
|Canon PIXMA MP990||$449||Inkjet||13.9||11.6||10.2||3.8||36s||1m8s|
While the Platinum Pro905 and Prestige Pro805 share the same print engine, the multifunctions’ inconsistent print speeds led to different results in our benchmarks. However, our results show that Lexmark’s high-end inkjet multifunction isn’t the fastest document printer available, particularly considering its price point.
Unfortunately, overall print quality isn’t spectacular either. While readable, text isn’t as sharp as we would have liked from a business-focussed printer, while characters were extremely feathered when superimposed on coloured backgrounds. Even when dry, documents retain an inky look and standard 80gsm paper will be warped if you print colour graphics documents.
Photos lack detail and can appear grainy, even at best quality. Black levels in monochrome photos are also too light, making the Platinum Pro905 a better choice for basic graphics and documents rather than more complex material.
According to the promotional sticker on the Prestige Pro905, the multifunction can print monochrome documents at a cost of 1c per page, but this is in US pricing. In reality, you'd be paying 1.6c Australian, which is still quite cheap for an inkjet. With high-yield colour cartridges, you're looking at a total running cost of 15.5c per A4 page, which is still quite a reasonable ask, though more expensive than comparable laser printers.
The Platinum Pro905’s print quality and speeds won’t satisfy all business users, but the SmartSolutions widgets and low cost per page for monochrome documents are certainly tempting.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- HP rolls out patch to fix keylogging bug in certain laptops
- Some HP PCs are recording your keystrokes
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer/ ConsultantVIC
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- FTCyber Security Technical WriterNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCConsultant - Hogan Health CheckQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Lead Front-endNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- CCSenior Project Manger - Global MarketsVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- CCDisaster Recovery SpecialistQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW