- ID and PIN numbers for added security option.
- Can't print Microsoft documents from USB key
Overall, the C534dn produces good quality prints, especially for colour documents. End users should find it easy to use, while IT managers will appreciate the user restrictions and security options that are on offer.
Price$ 1,693.00 (AUD)
Lexmark's C534dn is a colour laser printer that can be connected either directly to a computer using USB or to a network using its built-in 10/100 Ethernet controller. It's aimed directly at the business market and has many nifty print and management features that can come in handy, particularly in offices where a lot of colour printing is required.
The C534dn has a duty cycle of 100,000 pages per month and uses four toners to create its colour output: black, cyan, magenta and yellow. High yield versions of these toners cost $278 for the black (8000 pages yield at 15 per cent page coverage) and $270 for each colour (5000-page yield).
A well laid-out control panel with a four-line LCD display and a clear and logical printer driver make the C534dn very easy to use; while IT managers can restrict user access by assigning users IDs and PIN numbers. User IDs can be used to determine who has permission to print in colour. Those without proper permissions will only be able to print in black and white. Likewise, monochrome drivers can be installed on computers to restrict colour printing.
PIN numbers can be used to print documents securely. For example, if a print job is sent to the printer from an upstairs cubicle, the document won't print until the user comes down to enter their PIN number. The PIN can be created in the printer driver. Entering the wrong PIN number more than three times will delete the pending document.
As for speed, we printed out mainly text documents sprinkled with colour highlights, which the printer was able to produce at a rate of seven pages per second. The "normal" print mode produces rich black text, as does the "draft" mode. For economy, the density of the toner can be adjusted manually, and when we reduced the density, the printer produced much lighter output that was still sharp and easy on the eyes. Photos and graphics can be printed out using the printer's 4800dpi resolution -- Lexmark says the dot size and shape is adjusted in order to boost the print quality of images -- and the results we obtained are among the sharpest we've seen from a colour laser printer. It's an ideal unit for printing out copies of colour presentations and brochures. A full-page photo printed out in 1min 37sec.
For printing on both sides of the paper, the printer comes with a built-in duplex unit. It takes slightly longer to complete a duplex print job -- about 30 seconds more than a non-duplex job.
A USB port resides on the control panel of the printer, which allows for easy (and faster) printing of photos and PDF files -- but not Microsoft documents -- from a USB key. Once plugged in, files can be browsed according to file name and selected for printing. If the printer is in the middle of a print job, prints initiated from a USB key will simply be added to the queue. It took just 49 seconds for a photo to print from a USB key.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- HP rolls out patch to fix keylogging bug in certain laptops
- Some HP PCs are recording your keystrokes
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCSenior Digital BANSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- CCPeopleSoft Functional AnalystVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCABAP ConsultantACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- CCTechnical Support/HelpdeskVIC