Lexar Media JumpDrive TouchGuard
- Simple, trouble-free encryption for sites
- No authentication for network PCs
If you're a busy surfer with countless online accounts, Lexar's JumpDrive TouchGuard will simplify maintaining robust security. If only it were possible to log into Windows PCs with the fingerprint reader…
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
As an ever-increasing number of services are moved to the net, the integrity and security of passwords is becoming paramount. Identity theft is a serious issue, and between online banking, auction sites, webmail, forums, support resources, corporate intranets and other sites that demand users authenticate, a casual surfer may need to remember a dozen passwords. And if you're a serious net addict, chances are you'll have credentials for many more. Remembering different passwords for every site visited regularly is a hassle, so many just use the same between several sites. If someone manages to crack a password for one site, they can then get into any you're registered for.
While there are several software solutions on the market designed to store passwords for these sites, Lexar has integrated biometric fingerprint scanning into a memory key, allowing the user to authenticate against that.
The JumpDrive TouchGuard looks like any other USB memory key, but with a fingerprint reader inlaid into the top face. It can store unique logins and passwords for 200 web sites and will hold up to 10 different fingerprints - so several people can use a single key to authenticate.
The drive ships with a Dashboard application that controlls access to the encryption, favourites, user profiles, and settings. It greatly streamlines the process of registering fingerprints and managing logins. A single swipe will authenticate for most sites, and you can set the key up to recognize several of your fingers (to minimize the chances of something going wrong and the key locking you out from sites).
The key is reasonably demanding -- and only works with Windows 2000 or XP, with Internet Explorer 6 installed, but that shouldn't be an issue for the majority of corporate or even home users.
Operation couldn't be simpler after scanning your fingerprint into the key's memory: when visiting web pages that demand a login and password, a single swipe over the fingerprint scanner sends the appropriate credentials to the site, and you're logged in. It's also possible to use the fingerprint scanner to restrict access to files stored on a PC or on the key itself. Built-in 256-bit AES encryption offers rock-solid protection against prying eyes if you accidentally lose the key (along with the fingerprint authentication).
Lexar claim the drive to be tested with over 500 web sites, and we found all to work smoothly during testing. One limitation is authentication for Windows networks, though: you can currently only use the device for web sites.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTChange ManagerQLD
- CCJunior to Mid-level Project Manager- TelcoVIC
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Solution Analyst /Technical Business AnalystVIC
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Campus Solution ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- TPImplementation Planner | P90 |$1300/dayQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior SQL Database SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTHCM Project Manager & Service Implementation Manager - SAP HRNSW
- FTStorage EngineerSA