Lenovo ThinkCentre A61e
- Form factor, optional solar panel, low noise emission, easy maintenance
- Few upgrade options, monitor not included
Not contented to be just another typical business PC the Lenovo ThinkCentre A61e is an environmentally friendly, compact business PC solution with a lot of potential. It's not a hugely powerful performer, but we like the small form factor and quiet operation, plus the optional solar panel sounds promising.
Price$ 959.00 (AUD)
Lenovo's A61e is not only the smallest form factor we've seen from the ThinkCentre range, but it's also the greenest product available from Lenovo. Built on AMD's 45Watt Athlon 64 X2 BE 2350 CPU, the Lenovo A61e is designed for low power and noise. Although we are unable to determine how energy efficient it really is, it is certainly quiet and takes up very little working space on the desk.
Lenovo, however, is fairly certain about its power efficiency; the A61e can apparently run on an optional solar panel, which is quite impressive. The ThinkCentre A61e has also been recognised with Gold status by EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool), a Web site run by the Green Electronics Council, which aims to allocate electronic products into classifications based on their environmental friendliness. The A61e has been recognised, not just as a low power option, but also for its use of up to 90 per cent reusable or recyclable materials.
It offers a gigabyte hard drive, 1GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM and, as we mentioned earlier, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE 2350 2.1GHz CPU. It's not the most powerful system, but a little more RAM might give it a boost. We definitely feel this PC has more focus on size, efficiency and noise reduction than it does on performance. Unfortunately the monitor seen in the images is not included, but costs an additional $649.
In our benchmarks we saw moderate results. In WorldBench 6 the ThinkCentre A61e scored a total of 57, while our MP3 encoding test also showed fairly basic performance from the CPU. Encoding 53 minutes worth of WAV files to 192Kbps MP3 files took 115sec using iTunes, then 133sec using Cdex.
Apart from power savings and quiet operation, the A61e offers a very manageable solution for IT administrators. Although the small form factor provides little to no upgrade options (there's only one hard drive bay and one optical drive bay, but only one of the four RAM slots is occupied), it has a tool-free chassis, which folds open with ease, allowing quick and simple maintenance.
It's a fairly plain design, with two USB ports and a set of audio ports on the front, as well as access to the DVD re-writer. At the rear there is a total of four more USB ports, a D-Sub port for the monitor and the main audio outputs. Beyond that there's little more to consider.
The power supply, like a notebook, is external which helps keep the size and heat down and with only one fan running inside this machine it is the reason why it's so quiet. This makes it ideal for cramped conditions where you can't escape the noise, and the size of the PC almost forces you to keep it on top of your desk, so the quieter the better.
During the initial setup Lenovo bombard you with a heap of software offers from Microsoft Office to antivirus applications, which is a little irritating, unless of course you don't have the software and think you need it. The system also prompts you to setup Lenovo's automated updates, which can be quite useful. Lenovo's management software ThinkVantage is a great little tool for keeping the system running smoothly. It provides quick access to maintenance features like backups, but also has shortcuts to a number of standard Windows features, like hardware configurations.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
- Dell’s Inspiron 27 7000 is the first Ryzen All-in-One PC, and it's upgradable too
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- TPProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCGuidewire Business Analyst - Brisbane basedVIC
- CCProgram Evaluation ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- FTService Design Analyst (Service Management Specialist- ITIL)Other
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- TPSQL Developer/AnalystQLD
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTSAP HR / PAYROLL SPECIALISTACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist O365NSW
- FTInfrastructure/Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTProject Manager- Cloud -Federal GovernmentOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCSIAM Governance ManagerNSW
- CCPenetration TesterQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - ISO9001ACT