Legend Performance Technology iVO
- Compact size, USB 2.0 support
- Poor recording options, dot matrix display
With its dot matrix display, FM tuner and basic recording options, the Legend iVO 1GB is an unexceptional USB-based digital audio player.
Price$ 220.00 (AUD)
While it won't win any fashion awards with its low-quality plastic housing and dot matrix display, the thumbdrive-like Legend iVO 1GB gets the job done.
Audio player screens are slowly becoming more advanced, but apart from a gimmicky seven-colour LED backlight change, Legend has outfitted the iVO with just a small 128 x 32 dot matrix display. While the screen was readable, and can be read at night with the LED backlight, it doesn't match some of the better colour screens we have seen. In Legend's defence, it was undoubtedly restricted by the tiny size of this player, which is only 102mm x 29mm 23mm and weighs just 30g.
Small as it is, the screen on the iVO displays a large amount of detailed information, such as ID3 tags, the file format and encoding standard of the song, the current repeat mode, song number, equaliser settings and battery level. All this information can be seen at once, without the need for scrolling through different screens. Since the display itself is so small, however, the result is a rather cluttered-looking screen, with some of the text too small to read.
The iVO is a USB pen device that plugs into the USB port on your computer and can be used to store files as well as play music. As soon as the iVO is connected to your computer, it is recognised as a removable shared drive and music files can be dragged and dropped onto the player using Windows Explorer. Transferring data is fast, as the iVO supports the USB 2.0 standard. The format of the iVO means that you have the convenience of not having to use any extra cables or software to transfer music files, such as with some of the Sony devices we have looked at.
Apart from playing music files in MP3, WMA, ASF and WAV formats, the iVO ships with an FM radio tuner. It supports up to 20 station presets. Full FM stereo is supported.
While Legends claims the iVO can record FM radio, we found the sound quality to be extremely poor. Radio can only be recorded at a low quality 8Kbps and only in the obscure .ACT file format, which we couldn't play back on our PC. The iVO's voice recording options were a little better, with files recorded in WAV format at 32Kbps.
For something so small, the player has a surprising number of customisation options, such as setting the backlight colour, changing the language, adjusting the contrast and upgrading the firmware. Users can also set the date/time and configure power modes to preserve battery life. Powered by a single AAA battery, we found the iVO lasted for about 20 hours in our tests. The use of a AAA battery is interesting, as many USB players, such as the Toplux M260, ship with inbuilt rechargeable batteries that charge while the device is plugged into your PC. The advantage of using a replaceable battery is that you don't need to be near a PC to charge the iVO, but you do have to continually spend money to purchase batteries.
We had no complaints about the sound quality of the iVO--it was crisp and clear. Although a seven-band equaliser is included, those looking for advanced sound options should look elsewhere. The Legend iVO audio player is also available in 256MB and 512MB models.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager - Wealth/BankingOther
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCIntegration/DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTChief Technology OfficerSA
- TPManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- TPSAP Functional Consultant - FinanceQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - $104/hrQLD
- FT1st Level Technical SupportVIC
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- CCUnity 3D Developer (Mobile)NSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCMaximo Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- FTUI / UX Junior AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Mobile AppsOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTCRM / MS Dynamics Architect / Sr ConsultantACT
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- TP.NET DeveloperACT
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther