Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal Edition
- Great protection, Breezy interface, Free!
- Does have a few small holes
Probably the best free anti-spyware software currently available. Combine it with a few other freebies and you’ll never be troubled by pop-ups again.
Ad-aware is one of the premiere anti-spyware tools currently available online. It offers a continually updated service which scans your entire hard drive and registry, and best of all it is absolutely free!
We have been using Ad-aware for years as our first choice for spyware removal. Generally we have found it works best in conjunction with other software, such as Spybot Search and Destroy and Hijack This. Whilst Ad-aware does provide the broadest protection against internet nasties (across the freeware choices anyway) it still has a few gaps, but by combining it with other software you can create a formidable wall that will cleanse even the most spyware ridden system.
The Ad-aware interface is quick and intuitive, so even the most computer illiterate person should be able to operate it. In the free version you are only given limited functionality; the ability to scan for updates and then check your system. You can also turn on auto update, which we highly recommend. When scanning, you are given the choice of a full, smart or custom scan. A smart scan will just hit problem areas such as your windows directory, registry and temporary files, whereas a full system scan will obviously cover every file on your machine. We recommend a full system scan at least once a week. The process will take anywhere from five minutes to half an hour, depending on your system's specifications and the number of files that need scanning. We did find that a large chunk of our system resources were in use during the scan, so if you're running a low end system keep in mind you may not be able to do much at the same time.
One of Ad-Aware's strengths is that it finds not only malicious files but also tracking cookies. Most other software will search for spyware programs but skip completely over the registry and internet files, which will still leave traces on your hard drive. With spyware, sometimes all it takes is a single file left on the drive to completely re-infect it, so Ad-Aware's coverage of this area is applauded.
Once your scan is complete, Ad-Aware will give you the option of quarantining the dangerous files. This is extremely useful because occasionally the software may pick up something that isn't actually dangerous at all, or, more commonly, it will pick up a critical file as being dangerous and you won't realise until it is too late. By simply storing the file, it gives you the option to put it back if you find out later it is important. You are also given the option to customise the search. Ad-Aware ranks files based on how critically dangerous they are and so you can set it up so it only finds extreme threats for example, and skips over the basic tracking cookies.
Further protection is offered if you wish to register the software. This will cost you $26.95 US and offers on the go spyware protection. This means Ad-Aware will function similarly to a virus scanner, actively protecting and blocking spyware before it can properly install itself. This will save you the hassle of having to constantly scan and will let you know which sites are the ones infecting your machine.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Parallels Desktop 13 Launches
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
- Net Neutrality: The July 12 Internet-Wide Day of Action protest and what to expect
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- Review: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Architect - Oracle Identity and Access Management - CANBERRA BASEDQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager (CRM)VIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- TPSystems Analyst / TesterVIC
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCData Architect - CRMVIC
- CCAlliance ManagerNSW
- CCInteractive UX - UI DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Customer Experience ( CX ) AnalystOther
- CCSenior Cost Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPSOE EngineerQLD
- FTTechnical LeadOther
- TPBusiness AnalystSA
- CCTechnical Architect - Oracle Identity and Access Management - CANBERRA BASEDVIC
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Manager (Black Belt)NSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- TPSAP Data Migration SpecialistQLD
- FTReact Developer - FrontendOther
- CCOrg Project / Change Manager - Go to Market - Telco - Contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCServiceNow Technical Architect - CANBERRA BASEDSA
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCCisco Network EngineerWA