Lavasoft Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro 8.3
The Pro version Ad-Aware includes protection against network-borne threats
- Real-time protection, rootkit removal
- It's possible to supplement the Free version of Ad-Aware with other products for real-time protection
Is it worth paying $29.95 for Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro, when there are many free anti-spyware and antivirus programs out there, including the free version of Ad-Aware? The Free version is much the same as the Pro, except that it doesn't include integrated download protection, rootkit removal, or real-time protection. Real-time protection is vital in security software, so even home users would do well either to pay for the Pro version or to get the Free version and supplement it with any of the many free pieces of security software that offer real-time protection, such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira AntiVir Personal, or Avast! Home Edition.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
What began as anti-spyware has grown into a sizable suite that includes comprehensive malware protection; this version of Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro includes antivirus, network protection, and rootkit removal. Lavasoft also offers a free version of the software, Ad-Aware Free Internet Security, which is for home users only; and a more full-featured new suite, Ad-Aware Total Security.
PCWorld doesn't have testing figures for the efficacy of Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro's antivirus software in this version. However, when we tested the Anniversary Edition in February 2009, that version was able to locate only 83.6 percent of 111,833 Trojans, spyware and other malware samples--not an impressive result compared to its competition. Again, tests have not been run on this newest version of the software, so the numbers may or may not be accurate. There is the potential, however, for this version to be more effective than the Anniversary Edition, because since then, its heuristics detection has changed.
Heuristics detection protects your PC by examining complex system behaviour, rather than just looking for known malware signatures. In this way, it can protect against emerging and unknown threats. The primary difference between this newest version (8.3) of Ad-Aware and the previous version (8.2) is the addition of the Genotype heuristics detection system, which Lavasoft claims is superior to its previous heuristics.
The Pro version includes protection against network-borne threats, which the free version does not. The Pro version also offers what it calls a "Toolbox" of additional protection. The Toolbox includes items such as the AutoStart Manager, which lets you control what programs and services start at Windows startup. It also includes a way to view and kill processes running on your PC. In addition, there is a tool to edit your HOSTS file, which may help increase your security. The final tool in the toolbox does not directly help security; it submits any dangers you come across to the Lavasoft ThreatWork Alliance, which then uses the combined information it finds to uncover dangers. Overall, the toolbox is moderately useful.
As in the previous version, Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro promises to protect against malware that tries to restore itself after a system reboot. And it integrates with Internet Explorer to scan files as you download files from the Web, alerting you to any malicious files you may pull onto your system. It also includes a "Simple mode" that lets you set your configuration once, and never have to do it again. If you prefer, you can toggle to Advanced Mode, where you can select advanced features for customisation.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- CCIntel IT ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- CCIntegration Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTBusiness Project Manager - Retail Store ChainOther
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTProgram Communications SpecialistOther
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTHFC Capacity Planner | 6mth ContractOther
- CCSupply Master Data Analyst - Procurement & Supply Chain - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Data governance consultantVIC
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD