Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free 8.3
Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free 8.3, one of the most popular spyware killers on the planet, just got better: It's not just an anti-spyware killer any more.
- Free, heuristic detection, customisation options for advanced users
- No comprehensive real-time protection
There is only one real drawback to Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free 8.3. It doesn't provide real-time comprehensive protection, which means that to keep yourself safe, you'll have to regularly scan your system. (It provides basic real-time protection, but that doesn't include Registry protection, or real-time behaviour-based heuristic scanning.) For full real-time protection you can get the pay for Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro or the new, and more expensive, Ad-Aware Total Security.
Ad-Aware Free Internet Security, one of the most popular spyware killers on the planet, just got better: It's not just an anti-spyware killer any more. The newest version, 8.3, adds anti-virus capabilities to its already very good job of detecting and killing spyware while keeping a low profile. It was previously known as Ad-Aware Free.
The newest version 8.3, as with the previous version, protects against rootkits, stealth attacks designed to escape detection and burrow their way into the operating system. Ad-Aware Free Internet Security also includes several types of heuristic detection, which protects you by examining complex system behaviour, rather than just looking for known malware signatures. If the program's heuristics work as well as do the heuristics in other anti-malware software, it should provide better protection against emerging and unknown threats, as well as threats that are already known.
New to this version is Genotype heuristics detection system, which Lavasoft claims is superior to its previous heuristics. PCWorld has not yet lab-tested this software and cannot offer an opinion on the antivirus feature's efficacy.
As in version 8.2, Ad-Aware Free promises to protect you against malware that tries to restore itself after a system reboot. Also useful is a "Simple mode" that lets you set your configuration once, and never have to do it again. If you prefer, you can toggle to Advanced Mode, where you can select advanced features for customisation. Ad-Aware Free Internet Security is as simple to use as previous versions. Tell it to scan your system, and it finds spyware and other malware, and then deletes it or quarantines it for you. New in this version is the ability to schedule scans.
There is one drawback to Ad-Aware Free Internet Security. It doesn't provide real-time comprehensive protection, which means that to keep yourself safe, you'll have to regularly scan your system. (It provides basic real-time protection, but that doesn't include Registry protection, or real-time behavior-based heuristic scanning.) For full real-time protection you can get the $30 Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro or the new $50 Ad-Aware Total Internet Security.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTHadoop DeveloperWA
- FTFinance Business PartnerOther
- TPProject Manager - IaaSQLD
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions Architect - Converged InfrastructureOther
- FTUX Researcher - ContractNSW
- FTTest AnalystOther
- TPPMO LeadVIC
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FT.Net Technical / Team LeadOther
- FTPayments Solution DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst, Business Efficiencies ProgramOther
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTContract Specialist - TelecomOther
- FTProgram Manager - Technology & EngineeringOther
- FTGenesys Routing DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Blue Chip ClientOther