Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007
- Better detection of adware and malware, scanning engine is easy on system resources, new interface, existing pro users can upgrade for free
- Nothing of note
Ad-Aware 2007 Free is a solid post-infection tool. If you don't want to dredge up the money to purchase real-time protection with Ad-Aware Plus or Pro, we recommend this free version as a utility that savvy users shouldn't be without. However, as threats become more sophisticated, the real-time protection available with the Plus and Pro versions should be a strong consideration.
An old favourite utility for zapping spyware and adware, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware has just been updated. Ad-Aware now has better detection of adware and malware, a scanning engine that goes easy on your PC's system resources and a snazzy new interface. The updates apply to all three versions of Ad-Aware, which now go by the names Ad-Aware 2007 Free, Plus, and Pro.
None of the new versions of Ad-Aware 2007 currently support the Microsoft Vista operating system. Vista-compatible versions of Ad-Aware 2007 are slated for August, Lavasoft says.
Of all the updates to the Ad-Aware 2007 family, the Free version has received the least in terms of new bells and whistles. Nevertheless, Lavasoft gives users good reason to make the jump from its predecessor, Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition.
In our evaluation of Ad-Aware 2007 Free, we found that the program lived up to its promise of cutting scan time on our PC. For us, this time went down from 7 minutes to 4 minutes. Harder to test was the program's new ability to seek and delete rootkits and other threats that burrow deep into your PC. For that, we take Lavasoft's word when it says earlier versions of Ad-Aware weren't equipped to handle today's threats.
A TrackSweep privacy tool has been added to Ad-Aware 2007 Free and it allows you to remove all traces of your internet browsing from your system. This feature supports the Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera browsers.
Also new, and hard to miss, is Ad-Aware 2007's interface, which is available in all three versions; it adds up to more than just cosmetic changes. Finding tools and tweaking configuration have been made much easier in Ad-Aware 2007 Free, as the navigation menu now brings the most commonly used features within easy reach.
All versions of Ad-Aware have also received an improved handling of definition updates, which now happens as needed - and more often. Older versions of Ad-Aware relied on periodic program updates, and the accumulated changes took longer to download to your PC.
A big advantage of Ad-Aware Plus is the real-time protection of your system that nips in the bud adware, spyware and malware problems before they become serious. Although real-time protection isn't new for the Plus and Pro versions, this feature may still convince you to upgrade.
Ad-Aware 2007 Plus also includes Ad-Watch RegShield, for providing improved protection against attempted Registry changes (the Registry is a favourite target for many forms of malware), Hosts File Editor, for blocking advertisement sites, preventing browser hijack attempts, and offering limited parental controls, as well as The Scheduler, for setting automatic scans and updates.
The Pro version offers further protection, adding tools to identify keyloggers and to stop identity theft attempts, as well as a network function to scan multiple PCs. Existing users of Ad-Aware Plus and Pro will be able to upgrade to the new versions for free.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTFrontend developerNSW
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- CCReporting Business AnalystACT
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FT.NET Web DeveloperSA
- CCManaging Architect - Satellite - TelcoVIC
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersSA
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- FTProgramme ManagerACT
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - ForsterNSW
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- TPDigital Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- TPSupport AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD