Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007
- Better detection of adware and malware, scanning engine is easy on system resources, new interface, existing pro users can upgrade for free
- Nothing of note
Ad-Aware 2007 Free is a solid post-infection tool. If you don't want to dredge up the money to purchase real-time protection with Ad-Aware Plus or Pro, we recommend this free version as a utility that savvy users shouldn't be without. However, as threats become more sophisticated, the real-time protection available with the Plus and Pro versions should be a strong consideration.
An old favourite utility for zapping spyware and adware, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware has just been updated. Ad-Aware now has better detection of adware and malware, a scanning engine that goes easy on your PC's system resources and a snazzy new interface. The updates apply to all three versions of Ad-Aware, which now go by the names Ad-Aware 2007 Free, Plus, and Pro.
None of the new versions of Ad-Aware 2007 currently support the Microsoft Vista operating system. Vista-compatible versions of Ad-Aware 2007 are slated for August, Lavasoft says.
Of all the updates to the Ad-Aware 2007 family, the Free version has received the least in terms of new bells and whistles. Nevertheless, Lavasoft gives users good reason to make the jump from its predecessor, Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition.
In our evaluation of Ad-Aware 2007 Free, we found that the program lived up to its promise of cutting scan time on our PC. For us, this time went down from 7 minutes to 4 minutes. Harder to test was the program's new ability to seek and delete rootkits and other threats that burrow deep into your PC. For that, we take Lavasoft's word when it says earlier versions of Ad-Aware weren't equipped to handle today's threats.
A TrackSweep privacy tool has been added to Ad-Aware 2007 Free and it allows you to remove all traces of your internet browsing from your system. This feature supports the Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera browsers.
Also new, and hard to miss, is Ad-Aware 2007's interface, which is available in all three versions; it adds up to more than just cosmetic changes. Finding tools and tweaking configuration have been made much easier in Ad-Aware 2007 Free, as the navigation menu now brings the most commonly used features within easy reach.
All versions of Ad-Aware have also received an improved handling of definition updates, which now happens as needed - and more often. Older versions of Ad-Aware relied on periodic program updates, and the accumulated changes took longer to download to your PC.
A big advantage of Ad-Aware Plus is the real-time protection of your system that nips in the bud adware, spyware and malware problems before they become serious. Although real-time protection isn't new for the Plus and Pro versions, this feature may still convince you to upgrade.
Ad-Aware 2007 Plus also includes Ad-Watch RegShield, for providing improved protection against attempted Registry changes (the Registry is a favourite target for many forms of malware), Hosts File Editor, for blocking advertisement sites, preventing browser hijack attempts, and offering limited parental controls, as well as The Scheduler, for setting automatic scans and updates.
The Pro version offers further protection, adding tools to identify keyloggers and to stop identity theft attempts, as well as a network function to scan multiple PCs. Existing users of Ad-Aware Plus and Pro will be able to upgrade to the new versions for free.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPLinux Automation EngineerQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- TPPMO AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- CCPega ArchitectNSW
- FTJava Developer (API)Other
- FTOracle Database Engineer - EXADATAOther
- FTCCNA Network EngineerOther
- CCOracle Financial Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Support AnalystOther
- TPSoftware EngineerACT
- TPIT Trainer - System ReleaseWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AgileOther
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTelco Network EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer - Blue Chip CompanyOther
- FTHosting/Virtualisation ArchitectACT
- FTProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- FTStorage Operations ManagerOther
- CCSite Acquisition Officer - Adelaide basedSA
- FTProject Manager - DatawarehouseACT