LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive
This external hard drive looks stylish thanks to its Philippe Starck enclosure
- Stylish and durable design, good read speeds
- No eSATA or FireWire 800, only basic versions of backup applications included, touch-sensitive area is small
LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive has a striking design. However, it only offers a USB 2.0 connection -- it won't be as fast as drives with eSATA and FireWire 800 connections.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive provides 1TB of storage in a stylish enclosure. It has a faceplate with a touch-sensitive area for launching backup software, and it provides good read speeds for a USB 2.0 external hard drive.
The striking enclosure of this external hard drive is thanks to French designer Philippe Starck, who is renowned for rocket-shaped juicers, among other things. An LED displays the designer's signature cross-shaped logo on the desk in front of the drive.
The Starck Desktop Hard Drive enclosure is made from 3mm-thick aluminium, making the drive extremely durable. A small section of the aluminium, mirrored front fascia is touch sensitive and can initiate one of two actions depending on how long you press it. The touch-sensitive area is indicated by a removable “Touch Here” sticker (the cross-shaped LED also changes from orange to green when the area is pressed). We would have preferred it if the whole fascia was touch-sensitive.
A set-up assistant launches when you first connect the drive to a computer, allowing you to choose a file system that is compatible with Mac OS X or Windows. You can also configure a second, 32GB FAT32 partition that will be compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux PCs. Once configured, the external hard drive offers software and manuals suited to the chosen operating system.
Mac users get the basic version of Intego Backup Assistant, which provides a very simple drag-and-drop interface for backing up and synchronising data. However, you can only synchronise one source at a time, and features like virus scans and the ability to run third-party applications automatically are reserved for the US$39.96 Pro version. Mac users may want to opt for Mac OS X's own Time Machine software instead.
Windows users get a lite version of Genie-Soft's Backup Assistant, which is significantly better than the Mac software. You can easily select multiple sources, folders and whole user profiles to back up to both local and networked locations, and employ AES encryption and file compression. The full version is available for US$35 and allows you to back up data to CDs, FTP servers and to Genie-Soft's cloud storage platform.
We tested the Starck Desktop Hard Drive by transferring files between it and a PC equipped with a 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. The first test involved 20GB of 3-4GB files while for the second we used 3GB of 1MB files.
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||28.8||17.1||10.5|
|LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive||$139||320GB||24.5||17.1||11.1|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||25||25||10.2|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||23.4||15||10.7|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||30.3||25.7||12.7|
|LaCie Starck Mobile Hard Drive||$139||320GB||27.4||25.9||12.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||27.9||26.4||11.7|
|Maxtor [[Artnid:296805|OneTouch 4 Plus|Review: Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus externsal hard drive||$349||750GB||28.58||25.47||N/A|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||26.7||25.1||12.7|
In both tests, LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive managed higher read speeds than other drives, and it matches the others when it comes to writing data and performing simultaneous read/write operations. For a USB 2.0 external hard drive, these speeds are adequate.
LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive is a great choice for style-conscious consumers, though a drive with an eSATA or FireWire 800 connection would achieve faster transfer speeds. The touch-sensitive application launcher isn't much more than a gimmick, but the hard drive's durable enclosure and neat footprint make it appealing.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Square expands Australian offering with Square Stand
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- Seagate and Baidu sign strategic cooperation agreement for big data analysis
- NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem Keeps You Online
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTPresales Security Solutions ArchitectVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - RoboticsNSW
- TPTeam Leader - Software DevelopmentQLD
- CCCloud Application ArchitectNSW
- FTChange Analyst - Business & TransformationOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorQLD
- TPTechnical Specialst (Office 365/Azure)SA
- FTScrum Master, MarketingOther
- FTBusiness Development Manager - Telecommunications & ITSA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTSenior Pega DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical ConsultantQLD
- CCData Analyst - SAP Data Services Exp RequiredQLD
- FTTransport Capacity Planner - Telecom domainVIC
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- TPSenior Workbrain Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTJunior iOS DeveloperWA
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW