LaCinema Black PLAY media streamer
The LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY is a 500GB Wi-Fi-enabled media streaming device
- Attractive, impressive format support
- A little expensive, doesn't support Macs
Beautifully built and feature rich, the LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY media streamer is a solid device.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
We first had a look at the LaCinema range of media-streaming devices back in March when the LaCie LaCinema Max - the top end model in the range - arrived in the Test Centre. The LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY is a marginally less capable product with very similar styling and a lower price tag. It comes with a 500GB hard drive but doesn't have a TV tuner.
The LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY is a very attractive media streamer. Finished in piano black, we were immediately smitten by its sharp black lines. Discreet LaCie branding is hidden on one side, while the only indication of any sort of function is a recessed USB connector. In use, the LaCinema Black PLAY has a glowing blue light that emanates from below.
Its design therefore gets a huge thumbs-up - the LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY products are among the few you'd probably be happy to find sat next to your flatscreen TV or DVD recorder. Round the back of the device is a neat arrangement of connectors: component video and audio outputs, an HDMI port, two flat USB 2.0 ports and a square one plus an ethernet port so you can connect the Play directly to a network. It also streams over a draft n wireless network.
The 500GB LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY comes with its own HDMI cable and a dear little remote control about half the size of the one you probably use with your TV. Buttons control and mute the volume, bring up an onscreen menu and let you access the settings menu. A navipad is used to get to items you want to play.
Media to play back is detected by a Twonky server that in effect turns your PC into a UPnP (universal plug and play) server and funnels respective content into Video, Photo and Music Spaces on the LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY device.
Photo file formats run from Jpeg and bitmap to Tiff, GIF and PNG - far more than most such devices can recognise. Music playback options are similarly impressive, with Ogg Vorbis, AAC and AC3 joining the ubiquitous MP3 and WMA options.
It's video that will interest many consumers, however, given the LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY's 1,080i high-definition playback capability and its inclusion of a wireless n receiver. H.264, Mpeg 2 and Mpeg 4 are joined by DiVx, MOV, VOB and MKV and several others.
All of this worked flawlessly and, against the smart black background of the PLAY's interface, photos and videos looked exceptional.
Our only real criticisms of this LaCie LaCinema Black PLAY are that it seems a little expensive compared to the similarly capable Netgear Digital Elite and that it doesn't support Macs. Given its design pretensions, this seemed an oversight worth addressing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerSA
- CCData Scientists - MultipleACT
- FTPMO LeadNSW
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTWintel Engineer - Website hostingNSW
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- CCUX DeveloperQLD
- TPSupport AnalystVIC
- FTSecurity Engineer (Cisco ASA) - Professional Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence and Analytic Solution DesignersACT
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Solutions and ApplicationsQLD