Kyocera Mita FS-C5300DN colour laser printer
Speed and economy are this model's strengths; its color quality is acceptable for mainstream business use
- Very fast, inexpensive consumables
- Colors can be grainy or slightly off
Kyocera Mita's FS-C5300DN makes high-volume color printing affordable — and it pumps the pages out fast. Assuming you can do better than the list price, this printer would work well in a mainstream business office with basic color needs.
Price$ 2,055.99 (AUD)
Kyocera Mita's FS-C5300DN color laser printer is very fast, and its consumables have an extraordinarily low cost. It's well worth considering for a high-volume office's color needs--if the color is for pie charts and accents, rather than for good-quality photos.
The FS-C5300DN is one of the fastest color lasers we've tested. It printed plain, black text pages at a rate of 27.1 pages per minute. Printing various kinds of graphics, it outpaced the pack in all but one test.
Color image quality was adequate but unsophisticated. Solid blocks of color, such as in pie charts, looked fine, but color photographs tended to look grainy or fuzzy, and a yellowish cast affected most pictures slightly. Grayscale images struggled with subtle gradations and looked too dark overall. Lexmark's C734dn came close in speed and produced oversaturated, but generally better, print quality.
The FS-C5300DN's generous standard equipment includes 500-sheet input and output trays, plus a 150-sheet multipurpose tray. All are commendably sturdy. Automatic duplexing works for both letter- and legal-size paper. An optional 500-sheet input tray costs $438.90. A front USB port is available for use with key drives. The front control panel is usable but would have been helped by a few more button labels, and the menus on the 2-line, 16-character, monochrome LCD could have offered a few more navigational cues.
Kyocera Mita's long-life consumables make the FS-C5300DN a cheap printer to maintain. The photoconducting drums (one for each color) and toner supplies are separated to minimize waste. The drums last 200,000 pages apiece, so it will take you a while to get through those. The starter-size toner supplies are hardly skimpy: 6000 pages for black (K) and 5000 pages for cyan (C), magenta (M), and yellow (Y). A full-size, 12,000-page replacement black toner supply costs $207.90 (list) or 1.7 cent per page, while each 10,000-page color toner supply costs $328.90 (list) or 3.3 cents per page.
The actual price you pay for the toner (and the printer) may vary. Kyocera Mita printers are available only through authorised dealers, who set the purchase price and often include value-added options such as discounted consumables or on-site repairs beyond the warranty period. The FS-C5300DN had a lofty list price of $2055.99 at this writing. Two other extremely expensive printers--OKI Printing Solutions' C8800n and Xerox's Phaser 7500/DN--are wide-format models intended for desktop publishing.
Kyocera Mita's FS-C5300DN makes high-volume color printing affordable--and it pumps the pages out fast. Assuming you can do better than the list price, this printer would work well in a mainstream business office with basic color needs.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Google WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCFinancial ModelerACT
- FTWindows 10 Project EngineerOther
- CCServiceNow SpecialistQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- TPICT Project CoordinatorACT
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerWA
- CCBusiness ArchitectVIC
- FTProject Coordinator - DigitalOther
- CCCAD GIS BIM SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystSA
- FTSAP Project Manager- (Successfactor)Other
- FTCloud Specialist/SME - TelcoOther
- CCIT Service Desk SupportNSW
- FTSenior PHP ProgrammerSA
- FTPMO Project AnalystOther
- FTProject Test LeadQLD
- TPTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTETL TesterACT
- CCDevOps LeadVIC
- TPSAP ABAP ConsultantWA
- FTData ModellerACT
- FTMarketing Content Writer - Tenders & SocialNSW
- CCPerformance Test Engineer - BrisbaneNSW