Kyocera FS-920 laser printer
- Quiet, high speed, low running costs
- Nothing in particular
The FS-920 is well built, speedy and incredibly economical to run. A perfectly pitched model from Kyocera.
Price$ 519.00 (AUD)
Few manufacturers can match Kyocera for overall cost of ownership. The company's ECOSYS technology means this printer is quiet, low-maintenance and has low ongoing costs. Add a low price, reasonable print speeds and quality output, and you have a personal mono laser worth attention.
The FS-920 is a surprisingly heavy-duty and robust model with options that include a network interface and memory upgrade to 288MB. It has a resolution of 1800 x 600dpi, and we managed to get it printing on draft text at 17ppm (pages per minute). Not too shoddy, and only a page slower than Kyocera's claimed speed.
We're also happy to report that there's little slowdown on jobs with mixed text and graphics when you bump up the quality. We even managed to print out a high-res A4 BMP image on best quality in 16 seconds. We didn't suffer any paper jams--though the printer's internals are easy to access so you should be able to retrieve stuck sheets without any problems.
At this price you're not going to get an LCD menu, although the FS-920 does have two hardware buttons and an internal 250-page input tray.
Kyocera sensibly sits the output tray a good couple of centimetres higher than the rest of the printer, so finished pages don't push off the ones that have already been delivered.
As expected on a mono laser, shading tends to look a bit mottled, but text and graphics on high quality are sharp.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
- Alienware 13 full, in-depth review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSAP Test AnalystOther
- CCTechnical Project Manager - CloudNSW
- CCIT Contracts AnalystVIC
- TPStakeholder Engagement Specialist - Change Manager - HealthQLD
- FTCustomer Support OperatorSA
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop Support EngineerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerOther
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- CCMS Power BI SpecialistQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTFull Stack ASP.NET DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- FTSystems Support EngineerOther
- CCWintel Infrastructure EngineersACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTSenior Developer (C# .NET SharePoint)Other
- CCWintel Infrastructure EngineersACT
- FTSecurity Solutions ManagerWA
- FTBusiness Analyst with BPM (Business Process Modelling)Other
- FTTelecom RiggerOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSolution ConsultantVIC