Kyocera FS-2000D laser printer
- Ongoing Running Costs, Speed, Text Print Quality, ECOSYS Technology, Compact Size
- Networking additional extra, Shading Printing Average
With low ongoing running costs and excellent print speeds, the FS-2000D is definitely an ideal printer for small businesses and workgroups.
Price$ 1,049.00 (AUD)
The Kyocera Mita FS-2000D is a double-sided monochrome A4 laser printer ideal for small to mid-sized business or departmental use. The printer boasts quality prints with 30 pages a minute output, 1200 x 1200 dpi resolution and 64MB of standard memory some of its features. Networking is not available out of the box however both wired and wireless networking with print server capability can be purchased.
Many laser printers use an imaging cartridge that integrates a drum, developer and toner into a single unit which is replaced each time the toner is exhausted. Kyocera printers instead feature a ceramic and metal drum with tiny ceramic particles that continually polish the drum during printing. This, Kyocera claim, allows the drum to remain in use for up to 300,000 pages. The initial toner pack will print 6000 pages (5% coverage) and replacement toner, easily inserted into the printer via a convenient slide tray at the rear, costs $137 and will print up to 12,000 pages (5% coverage). When the drum does need to be replaced it will cost $799.
The printer is quite heavy at 15.8kg, but surprisingly compact. Measuring 382 x 394 x 285mm, it doesn't take up much bench space at all and is largely inconspicuous thanks to a clean design. Setup is simple; we used a USB connection and inserted the paper into the slide-out 500-sheet A4 tray located on the front. After installing the driver software we were up and running in a matter of minutes.
For the price, you get a small but effective LCD display on the top of the unit, surrounded by an intuitive control panel. The menu was very easy to use and we didn't have any problems grasping any part of the FS-2000D's operation. You can tweak most print settings via this LCD screen and controls.
The FS-2000D may be targeted at business workgroups, but it still has features that would appeal to home and small office users. The best of these is a standard USB 1.1 port at the rear of the unit, meaning it is possible to print PDFs directly from a USB storage device. We tested this with a USB key and it worked well, although the USB port would be much better situated at the front of the unit for easier access. As well as a high speed USB 2.0 interface, the FS-2000D can also be connected via parallel.
Kyocera has not included networking capabilities straight out of the box so you'll have to purchase an optional network adapter if you require this function. There is a internal wired Ethernet option available for $145 while internal wireless networking costs an extra $729 - both are print servers.
Claiming up to 30 pages per minute of A4 and 15.5 of A4 duplex printing, we found Kyocera's quoted print speeds pretty close to the mark. On the high print quality setting we managed 27 pages a minute, which is an excellent result. Furthermore, we printed six pages of high quality A4 duplex with greyscale test charts and photos in just 37 seconds, with the FS-2000D taking just nine seconds to print its first page. Overall the FS-2000D is an extremely quick printer and doesn't suffer slowdown when configured for high quality printing.
The FS-2000D is rated by Kyocera for a maximum duty cycle of 150,000 pages per month and Kyocera offer a 2 year on-site warranty which can be extended. The 500 sheet paper capacity can be increased to 1100 pages via an additional paper tray. Memory can also be upgraded by replacing the 64MB DDR SDRAM DIMM with a 128, 256 or 512 MB module.
The FS-2000D print quality is very good, producing crisp and dark text but perhaps leaving a little to be desired with shaded graphics. However, the quality of text printing was excellent on a whole. With its combined speed and print quality, the FS-2000D is definitely an appealing proposition.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointNSW
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- FTSAP PM Functional ConsultantOther
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTSr SQL Developer/Data Migration SpecialistOther
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTSalesforce - MarketingOther
- CCSenior Marketing SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTiMIS Engineer / DBAOther
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSenior Process AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise Software/Product Sales ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Transformation ConsultantOther
- FTCloud/Infrastructure SpecialistVIC