Konica Minolta Magicolor 8650DN
Great A3 printing
- Wide colour gamut, accurate colour output, handles complex vector art
- Driver confusing and fiddly to set up, slow prints
Once you're over the initial set-up hurdle, the MagiColour 8650DN is a top-notch printer for design studios.
Price$ 7,550.00 (AUD)
The Magicolor 8650 is an A3 colour laser printer with exceptionally high-grade output that would make an ideal proof printer for many design studios. It has its flaws — it's especially fiddly to set up, for example — but on a day-to-day basis it's got everything you need.
The 8650DN is the base model in the range, but features more than most base units. There are two 500-sheet paper trays, and a full 1GB of RAM built-in as standard — which are often add-ons on other units.
You can build it up to Dalek-size with a cabinet of either two more 500-sheet trays or one 2500 sheet monster — but the standard model offers enough for most creative studios.
Setting up the 8650DN on your network using the provided software is easy, especially on the Mac, where support for Apple's Bonjour makes installation very simple indeed. However, getting designs and artwork to appear in the high-quality, colour-managed way you'd want is tricky.
Colour management is controlled in the printer driver, and setting the right output parameters is fiddly — while the manual is no help at all. Once you've worked out that the 'DTP' mode selection gives you highest-quality, colour-managed output without fiddling with lots of buried settings, you're set for the rest of the printer's usable life — but it took us a lot of trial-and-error to get there.
The 8650DN isn't the nippiest printer at producing pages, but when they finally emerge, they're top-notch. Colours are reproduced accurately using the printer's internal profile, and profiling the device makes it even more accurate. Profiling also revealed that the 8650DN has an impressively wide colour gamut, so much of your output will match what you see on screen — and it's capable of emulating press standards more accurately (in theory, anyway).
One nifty feature in the driver is the ability to emulate press standards such as SWOP and EuroScale, though we weren't able to test how accurate these were.
Despite not licensing Adobe's PostScript (it uses its own emulation), we didn't have any problems with printing documents with complex vector graphics.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist O365NSW
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCOrganisational Change & Deployment SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Java DevelopersACT
- FTe-Learning Instructional DesignerOther
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- TPOragnisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Asset Information OfficerOther
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTRelease Manager- IT SAP ERP/EAM environmentsOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- FTTechnical Lead - Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTProject Manager - EDRMS ImplementationOther
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst with Student Management SystemOther
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Loyalty Program)Other