Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio DAB+ With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe
The Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio DAB With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe has a mouthful of a name and it offers good value
- It's feature rich and great value for money
- Slight distortion at high volumes
Overall we are very impressed with the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio DAB With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe. Audio quality could be slightly better but it's still a great buy at $199.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe DAB+ With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe is, as its name might suggest, a collection of awesome features packed inside a rectangle made of fancy plastic.
It's a mouthful of a name, so we'll stick to calling it the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio — anything more and we'll get RSI.
The Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe features Internet radio (via 802.11b/g or 10/100 Ethernet), digital radio and an iPhone/iPod dock, and it can connect to almost any audio device via its auxiliary port — you'll have no problem plugging in a Creative Zen MP3 player, for example, and a 3.5mm auxiliary cable is included in the box.
The design of the radio is very minimalist. A glossy piano-black finish wraps around the outer shell of the unit while the face is a matte black panel. The face is home to an OLED screen, a dome-style tweeter and a circular control panel. The navigational controls are slightly awkward to use at first; we found the main problem to be with the select arrows, which are in line with the volume controls. It takes some time to learn to avoid hitting the volume controls instead of select controls and vice versa.
The digital radio function worked perfectly. Reception was crystal clear and scrolling through station options was straightforward and easy. FM radio is also available and it uses an old-style telescopic aerial.
The audio of the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio relies on the afore-mentioned front-facing tweeter and two end-facing mid-range speakers — that is, the left and right speakers don't face forward. The left speaker sits on the left end and the right speaker sits on the right end. This means you can't plonk the radio on a bookshelf or anywhere else where you might want to put objects either side of it. The overall sound quality from these speakers won’t set the world on fire, but playing with the equaliser can make a huge difference.
We tested a variety of different music genres off our iPod — from Scarface (hip hop) right through to Captain Beefheart. We found that hip hop sounded muddy and the mid-tones were overpowered, but a little tweaking of treble and bass helped make the audio clearer. In general the high frequencies didn’t sound as bright as they should have.
This isn’t to say that the audio quality of the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe is terrible. Given the features, price and size, we’d have to say that the audio quality is actually fair — and powerful. Its sound can easily fill a room, but at higher volumes there will be some distortion unless you tweak the bass and treble levels. The Kogan's sound quality isn't as good as some similar priced digital radios such as the Pure One Elite (which also costs $199), but it's definitely louder.
Overall, the features you get for the price are what make the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe DAB+ With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe a desirable product — and also a mouthful. For $199, not only do you get a digital radio, you also an iPod dock, Internet radio streaming via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and even a conventional FM radio. It's a good deal.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPTechnical Project OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTInformation Security AnalystNSW
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- CCCISCO Project ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTCommunications SpecialistSA
- TPChange Manager - Services CatalogueQLD
- CCServer Support Specialist ? Performance and Capacity ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- TPSitecore DeveloperQLD
- FTOpenText ConsultantNSW
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT
- FTInternal Communications ConsultantSA
- FTSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCHR / Org. Development Business Analyst - Large Telco Contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- CCIteration / Project ManagerWA
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTExecutive Assistant (APS4)ACT