Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR
This cut-price personal video recorder lets you watch and record high-definition digital television
- Ridiculously low cost, simple operation
- Adding recording capability ups cost, no optical audio output
Kogan's Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR is a simple, cheap and trouble-free way to watch digital television. The ability to record digital television programs (with the help of a USB-connected external hard drive or flash drive) is fantastic given the $100 price-point.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR lets you watch high-definition digital television on a non-digital TV. You can also plug in an external hard drive or flash drive to record TV shows. At under $100 this set-top box represents great value for anyone wanting to upgrade to digital television.
The Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR isn't physically impressive — it’s a squat, grey box with an old-school LCD screen on the front. There's also a front-mounted USB port that lets you plug in external storage for recording TV shows and time-shifting (pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding TV broadcasts). The rear of the digital set-top box has a range of video and audio outputs; we used the HDMI output to connect the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR to a Tyagi Max19 LCD television, but analog inputs for connecting older devices are also available (composite and component connectors). There is a coaxial digital output, but no optical audio output means so the Kogan PVR is a bad choice if you’re connecting an external home theatre audio system without a coaxial connector.
The interface of the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR isn’t exactly colourful or lush, but we weren’t expecting much from a $99 system. A low-resolution white-on-blue GUI is rather ugly, but it is easy to see from across the room. The menu is relatively easy to understand, and the lag between pressing a button and the interface responding is bearable. A comprehensive scan for channels took a little longer than five minutes, and the set-top box successfully found all digital television channels in our area.
The Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR has a rudimentary electronic program guide, although the low-resolution interface doesn’t allow a great deal of information to be displayed. Three built-in games available from the PVR's menu — Othello, Tetris and Sudoku — allow you to pass the time during ad breaks, but won't hold your attention for long due to high remote control latency making gameplay frustrating.
Picture and audio quality from the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR are perfectly acceptable for digital television broadcasts. The highest supported resolution is 1080i, which is also the highest resolution used for digital TV broadcasts in Australia.
If you plug in an external hard drive or flash drive you can display JPEG photos and play MP3 files, although they are loaded slowly. Attaching storage also let you time-shift and record TV. You can easily record files and transport them to your computer (in .TS format, although transcoding to more popular formats is easy with a third-party video converter), making the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR a fantastically versatile product for its asking price.
We used a 160GB hard drive, but drives up to 1TB are supported. Buying a large hard drive for the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR will add significantly to its cost. You can pick up a 320GB external hard drive from an electrical discount store and keep the overall cost under $200, however.
For the price, Kogan's HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR is an impressive product. If it couldn't record TV we wouldn't have given it a second glance, but this helps set it apart from other set-top boxes.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorWA
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- CCFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTEnvironmental Planner / Land Access CoordinationOther
- FTOperations Orchestration SpecialistOther
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- CCPrroject ManagerQLD
- FTChange Lead- Strategic Implementation & Transformation ProjectsOther
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Accounting / Financial DataOther
- CCSQL Server DeveloperQLD
- TPProject Manager - 3 days per weekQLD
- FTSenior Security ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCNP or CCIEOther
- CCLead Service Designer - CANBERRA BASEDVIC
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTDeveloper- Xamarin, ASP.Net, Ajax, Java Script, MVC , AndroidOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther