Kogan Full HD Action Camera
This action camera is no GoPro, but it’s great value
- Huge accessories bundle included
- Decent image quality
- Versatile menu and settings
- Mediocre build quality
- No on-camera mounting point
- No 1080p60 video mode
Kogan’s attempt at a GoPro-rivalling action camera deserves praise. It doesn’t have the same image quality or super-sturdy build, but it’s fine for casual recording, comes with a bundle of accessories, and is much, much cheaper.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
It’s a compact, fixed-lens video camera that can record Full HD, 1080p video at 30 frames per second, as well as 720p HD video at 60fps — smoother and smaller video files, at the cost of a slight drop in quality.
Kogan Full HD Action Camera
We received the Black Edition of the Full HD Action Camera from Kogan, which is $139 plus delivery. A Silver version without any mounting accessories (apart from the standard tripod mount) is $20 cheaper.
Kogan’s action camera reminds us very much of the Swann Freestyle HD — it shares the same lens-on-a-box design, with the Kogan’s lens offset to the absolute right (looking front-on). There’s no filter or protection on the front of the lens, so it might be prone to getting scratched if you’re not using it in the protective case.
The front of the camera is bare apart from the lens and Kogan’s logo, but the top has two buttons for recording video or still photos, and the camera’s left and right sides respectively house various outputs (HDMI, USB and microphone input) and a microSD card slot (up to 32GB; a 4GB card is included).
The Action Camera’s back has a few more buttons — five-way navigation pad, menu and power/playback mode toggle. There’s a 1.5-inch, full-colour display built into the camera’s body, which is an optional accessory for the GoPro range, and which a Contour or Action Cam lacks.
The Black Edition bundle of Kogan's Full HD Action Camera includes a variety of mounts — two sticky mounts, a suction cup mount, a roll-bar/handlebar mount, and a helmet mount. There's a 30m waterproof/2m shock-proof case included, as well, which is the only way to use any of the mounts — the camera itself doesn't have an internal tripod screw or mounting point.
Kogan Full HD Action Camera: Menu, video and photo quality
The menu system of the Kogan Full HD Action Camera is, surprisingly, pretty good. The menu of the Swann Freestyle HD lacked some features we thought were important, but Kogan has made its Action Camera a good purchase for a few niche uses — like as a dash-cam, thanks to the loop recording, motion-activated recording, and time lapse photo modes.
There’s even an upside-down option to flip the menu and video output when you’re using the camera in an inverted mount — like using the included suction cup to put the Kogan cam on the top of the inside of your car’s windscreen. The menu is well laid out for a budget action cam, the features are clearly labeled, and the entire setup is both simple and powerful.
When it comes to actually recording video, you’ve got a few options. The Full HD Action Camera from Kogan can record video in either 1080p30 or 720p60 HD video resolutions, and WVGAp60, WVGAp30 and VGA resolutions are also available. We generally opted for 1080p30 for the best possible video quality, although 720p60 may be preferable for anyone using the Camera for any proper action sports. We would have liked to see a 1080p60 video mode as available on the GoPro HERO3.
Video quality, on the whole, is pretty good. It’s not great — not pin-sharp like filming with a digital SLR or compact camera, but the output is largely similar to a high-end smartphone camera.
We’d say GoPro has the edge in video quality with its Black Edition of its HERO3 action camera, which can do 1080p60 and 4K video in addition to the resolution that Kogan offers, and has a sensor and video processor package that does a better job in low light. If you’re looking for something that’s good enough for a casual trip to the snow, or as a dashboard security camera for your car, the Kogan Action Camera does a perfectly good job.
For time-lapse photography or casual party-snap photographs, again, the Kogan does a pretty good job. It’s not going to rival any proper still or video camera any more than a smartphone might, but it gets the job done and the results it produces are decent if unspectacular.
Kogan Full HD Action Camera: Conclusion
The Kogan Full HD Action Camera is priced aggressively, and in our opinion it outperforms its price tag — you get a significant proportion of the features of any GoPro, Contour, Sony or similar action camera, for as little as a quarter of the price. If you need an action camera, or can find a use for one, it’s an attractive device.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTRisk Specialist - 6 month contractOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCTest Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTQuality Assurance ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst, Business Efficiencies ProgramOther
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- FTBlockchain DeveloperOther
- FTAsset and Configuration ManagerSA
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Mobile AutomationOther
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- TPProject Manager - Records ManagementVIC
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- FTSenior Change Analyst, Governance & AssuranceOther
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTWindows Server EngineerOther