Kodak EASYSHARE Z740 Zoom
- 10X zoom, strong and comfortable, above average image quality
- Poor recovery time, a little flimsy, quite big
With good features and picture quality, it doesn't do much to distinguish itself from the pack, but if you're after a 5 megapixel camera with 10X zoom, you could do a lot worse than this.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Despite being cheaper than its sister model, the Kodak EASYSHARE Z7590 Zoom (both are five megapixel, 10X optical zoom cameras), the EASYSHARE Z740 Zoom appears to be the better model.
Controls are laid out nicely on the back, and everything is easy to access and utilise. This has become standard across most Kodak cameras--with a few glaring exceptions they are incredibly newbie-friendly, and this model is no different. It implements the standard Kodak menu system, which includes explanations of all the main functions.
Image quality was great, although perhaps not up to the usual Kodak standard. Our two complaints with this particular model were that the shots didn't seem to have as much colour differentiation as we have come to expect, and the sharpness was a little lacking in comparison to Kodak's other models. When placed next to other cameras in this category, however, they still come out looking pretty good.
Once again, we tested the camera's shot recovery time and found it wanting. This is the biggest single problem across the Kodak range, and it always detracts from the cameras. Three to four seconds of lag after a shot is not acceptable. Two to three seconds is the standard. This is made worse by the fact that this z740's memory buffer only holds two shots, which means taking more than that in succession will lead to double or triple the write time.
The great array of options the camera presents go some way towards compensation for its slowness. It offers a full customisation mode, throwing control of everything into your hands. This includes things like exposure, shutter speed, aperture, white balance and saturation--all the things you need to tweak your images to perfection, and what you would expect from a high-end, 10X zoom model.
The camera is constructed mostly of plastic but it sits comfortably in the hand and has enough strength in the frame to make it feel sturdy. The grip is comfortable, but the pop-up flash can be a little irritating, getting in the way of your natural hand position.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther
- FTClinical Support Specialist - PermanentQLD
- TPSAP Technical Data AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTICT Business AnalystACT
- TPWeb Communications OfficerACT
- CCSystems / Storage EngineerWA
- FTLevel 2 Mobile ICT AdministratorACT
- FT.NET DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - (Urgent)Other
- CCAutomation Anywhere developerQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- TPOffice 365 Technical LeadQLD
- FTField Technical SupportOther
- TPSystems EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Rules/ Real time analysis)VIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTQA Lead / TesterNSW