Extremely petite IEMs.
- Tiny design, well-rounded sound, nice rich bass and treble
- Some minor distortion, airy mid-range might not suit everyone
The Klipsch X5s are some very solid IEMs. The tiny design makes them exceptionally comfortable and the sound quality is excellent, all things considered.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Following on from its previous headphone effort, the X10s, come Klipsch’s newest in-ear monitors, the Klipsch X5s. The X10s were lauded for their miniscule design; while the X5s aren’t quite as diminutive as their older brother they are still some of the smallest headphones on the market right now. Klipsch, while not being a big player in the headphone market, is known for its high quality audio systems. These headphones continue the trend by providing impressive audio at a competitive price.
The overall sound of these headphones is quite balanced and fairly neutral; no single register is greatly emphasised over the others, which gives them a slightly more analytical sound. However there is enough warmth to ensure the listening experience is still fun.
The bass has a good level of punch and a somewhat slow, resonating tone. However it doesn’t extend quite as deeply as on some competing units. We could have done with a little more control in the lower register notes, but there was a nice level of detail and things never really got out of hand.
We found the mid-range sounded quite airy. This was particularly evident in some passages with heavy guitar riffs, where everything sounded more distant and spaced out that normal. This wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it will irritate users who prefer a more full on, in-your-face style presentation.
Treble notes have nice extension and a fairly smooth presentation. There is no harshness or shrillness and they are well balanced against the mid and low ranges. We found our piano-based tunes were rich and sweet, while high-pitched acoustic guitar strings rung out nicely without too much twang like you’ll hear on some cheaper units.
There was a small amount of distortion at times in passages of heavy riffing which was a little irritating but it didn’t occur enough to be a real problem. We found the separation and detail to be excellent across the entire sound spectrum. Every instrument was well defined and lots of details were brought forward rather than being lost in the background noise.
As they have a fairly tiny design the X5s are incredibly comfortable to wear, even for long periods of time. We’d go so far as to say they’re the most comfortable IEMs we’ve ever had in the office. That isn’t to say, however, that they don’t provide adequate isolation. They slip easily into the ear canal and do a good job of blocking out external noise. The 50in cable will also be appreciated, particularly by taller users who want to keep their media player in their pocket.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPAgile Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior UX Designer | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- CCServiceNow Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTPA/Team Assistant, IT EnvironmentNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)VIC
- FTJava Developers wanted (Banking/ Finance experience ideal)VIC
- FTSenior Consultant TechnicalNSW
- FTSoftware and IT sales - $100K+ OTEQLD
- FTJunior ICT Project ManagerQLD
- FTMarketing Content WriterOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- FTReporting Analyst - End User ComputingOther
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager - Oracle Financials - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTProject ManagerSA
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - HRMISACT
- CCBusiness Project Manager - TelcoVIC
- TPSharepoint Administrator - 3 months contractQLD
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst (SAP CRM/Fiori)Other
- FTImplementation LeadQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC