Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1
- Attractive design, excellent sounds quality, high volume.
- Slight vibration in the sub-woofer
The ProMedia GMX are a great set of speakers with excellent reproduction across the entire audio spectrum.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Klipsch make some of the sexiest home theatre and 2.1 PC speakers on the market. Their website is an audiophile's wet dream with a wide array of speakers catering to just about any audio usage you can imagine. When we got our hands on the ProMedia GMX we were interested to see if form and design were the primary focus of this company with performance and quality taking a back seat. Thankfully, Klipsch are true to their word, producing a set of speakers of extremely high quality with only the slightest of flaws, only mentionable when really trying to pick out something to complain about.
As far as design goes, these speakers are the very definition of the word sleek. Looking like two turbine jet engines, they scream audio at the listener, crystal clear and with very little distortion at high volume levels. The pre-amp pushes the volume to almost uncomfortable limits and it is only as your ears begin to bleed that the distortion kicks in.
The system is comprised of two speakers, an enormous sub-woofer and a pre-amp. The cabling detracts from the aesthetic of the system but can't really be helped lest the designers resort to wireless technology. The speakers are mounted on ball joint which give them the ability to be rotated a full 360 degrees while also being tilted at a wide range of angles. A simple feature and one that some would argue as being a gimmick, we found it to be rather useful as the speakers could be pointed to an optimal listening position.
We tested the treble with some high pitched tunes such as Radiohead and Portishead as well as the squealing Theremin of Howard Shores Ed Wood theme and found that all were clearly reproduced without any loss of pitch in the upper registers. Each satellite speaker sports a superior tweeter which is no doubt responsible for the treble quality we witnessed in our tests.
Mid tones across all our tests were flawless with clear separation between instruments even when handling a dirty guitar, notorious for enveloping most everything that it accompanies.
When testing bass we assaulted the unit with some heavy R&B tracks as well as the White Stripes' Hardest Button to Button. The pre-amp allows the master and bass levels to be adjusted and, like most sub-woofers, the bass could only be adjusted to about half full volume before becoming uncomfortable to listen to due to heavy distortion. This high level bass distortion was to be expected but we soon discovered something else - vibration.
Even though it is a very minor problem, we found that the bass was subject to some unwanted vibration from within the unit making some heavy bass to have a slight metallic vibration in the background. At low bass levels this wasn't as prevalent and as such we assume that the woofer either isn't properly affixed to the chassis or is vibrating on the desk we had it sitting on. If this is the case, sub-woofer feet like those on the Roth AudioBlob would have been perfect; elevating this unit to the best speaker system we have seen.
As it stands, the unit delivers an incredible audio experience and is well worth its rather exuberant price tag. This is a high end speaker system and delivers in high end style.
Join the newsletter!
Roam freely in the digital world. Critically acclaimed performance and security at your fingertips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
- Intel Xeon D-2100 set to enable new capabilities for cloud, network and service providers
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Consultant (Security)Other
- CCSalesforce Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- CCNetwork Specialist - NetApp Storage and Cisco IP-SANVIC
- CCProject Coordinator/ Change AnalystVIC
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - HealthQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- TPSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCContinuous Improvement and Change Specialist (Black Belt) - Contract - Nth SydNSW
- CCTeam / Process / Project Coordinator ? Telco ? 6 mth contract - Nth SydNSW
- CCProject EngineerNSW
- FTIT Procurement Analyst - AWS, On-PremOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- TPChange Management OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTAPI Developer | Full stackOther
- CCSenior Storage Specialist - NetApp Storage and Cisco IP-SANVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Java developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCJava Tech Lead with AEMNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse DeveloperQLD
- CCSite Support Officer - FIFO - Cape PrestonWA
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW