- Comprehensive kit, great sound, wide range of connectors
- Bulky, lots of cable if you connect every speaker
The Kenwood SAT7100 home theatre kit offers fantastic, expansive sound and a wide range of input connectors to suit just about every common AV component. Just ensure you have room to fit the AV unit and speakers.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
Kenwood's SAT7100 home theatre kit comprises two rear floor-standing satellite speakers (with stands), centre speaker, subwoofer, and three front speakers to provide a roomy, expansive sound. Kenwood has paid close attention to detail, shipping just about everything you would need to connect the kit up in a home environment. The box is packed with antennae, a sleek black remote control, batteries, speakers, stands, screws and even all the speaker cables.
The silver and black satellite speakers feature metal guards, threaded tripod mounts and a wall-mounting slot on the back panel to provide a myriad of placement options that should suit most home theatre configurations.
The core of the system, the KRF-7090D-S 120W x 7 audio-video control centre is a massive double-height unit that measures 44 x 16 x 40cm and weighs just less than 12kg. It features six-channel input, Dolby Digital EX 6.1ch, Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch and DTS-ES 6.1ch decoding, front connectors for S-Video and composite, and a massive range of sockets on the back. The silver front face features buttons to switch between inputs, adjust the volume and quickly mute a source. Tone controls, a headphone socket and the radio tuner round out the front face, but it's the back that belies the unit's true power.
A glance across the rear panel reveals AM and FM antennae, phono input, CD-in and MiniDisc line in and out. There's room for three S-Video and composite connectors and a single S-Video and composite output, along with a DVD/six-channel input, two component lines in and a single component line out. There's even a coaxial/S/PDIF digital audio input, and a 90W switched AC outlet to drive other hi-fi components. A subwoofer output and bank of speaker connectors fill up the last remaining square millimetres of space. This massive range of connectors should allow even the most decked-out home theatre systems to plug in with ease. The unit will even remember the settings for each individual channel, so you don't need to worry about constantly tweaking tone or volume for every device in your house.
The SW-39HT subwoofer offered a solid, punchy low end and it came to life when playing back movies packed with explosions and deep rumbles. The satellite speakers also offer wide frequency response, and were able to handle subtle spatial effects well. The kit includes ample speakers so they can be positioned to create an effective surround sound setup, and there's no distortion at high volumes. The kit is backed up by a one-year warranty, and is both easy to set up and well appointed. Just remember that you have to snake a lot of cable around the lounge room to drive all the speakers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJava Network DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Test Analyst - UATQLD
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Security SpecialistVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTApplication AnalystSA
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- FTLooking for Software TestersACT
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTIT Command Centre Support EngineerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- TPData AnalystVIC
- TPDigital ProducerVIC