Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
Version 8 of the venerable AV package
- Low impact on system resources, fast virus scans, great virus detection
- Installation can be finicky, didn't check Firefox 3's security
It’s getting harder and harder to find so-so AV security packages these days. KIS 2009 is a worthwhile upgrade to its predecessor: it offers a very attractive combination of features and protection at a good price. Factor in its low impact on system resources and being light on its feet and KIS 2009 becomes a worthy rival to the likes of Norton 360 et al.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Kaspersky's latest security package offers an attractive combination of features and protection
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, a.k.a. version 8 of the venerable AV package, has benefited from a thorough overhaul, although at first glance things look much the same. The previous version from Kaspersky Lab was a somewhat patchy affair in areas such as keylogging protection and spam detection, and this version addresses these weaknesses.
The new version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 offers a fairly standard range of features for a suite — malware protection, content filtering for e-mail and Web, IM protection, a two-way firewall, identity theft protection and parental controls. All these features are accessible via its modified UI and its logical, clear arrangement makes it pretty easy to use.
As is the norm these days, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 is available both for single and multiple PCs in a variety of subscription permutations. A trial version can be downloaded from the Web site.
Installation is swift although it took exception to the 'presence' of AVG 8, which we'd just uninstalled. Despite cleaning up the registry and hard disk for remnants of AVG it refused to install and so we switched to a different PC. We also had to reboot twice. During this, it builds a list of 'trusted apps' but these are confined to standard OS files — any other apps you've got are assessed the first time they're opened. This is the new Host-based Intrusions Prevention System at work. An application filter, HIPS controls your apps, intelligently deciding which ones are 'safe' to run.
The antivirus scans files on access, on demand, or on schedule. Scans are fast, the support is good, the detection rates are among the best in its class — as a result AV-Comparatives has awarded Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 an Advanced certification level. Most antivirus products that offer e-mail protection just scan the POP3 and SMTP email but KIS also scans IMAP email and Usenet (NNTP) traffic. Plug-ins are available for Outlook, Windows Live, Thunderbird and The Bat!
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 now features a number of security analysers, essentially a set of wizards designed to improve general PC security. The main one makes good system suggestions such as disabling auto-run on drives. It can usefully check your browser security settings and tighten them for you. This worked for IE but Firefox 3.0 was ignored.
Previous releases of Kaspersky Internet Security didn't do so well on defeating key-loggers so it's nice to see the inclusion of another new feature, a virtual keyboard, which makes the entering of data worth stealing more secure.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCAppian Developer x 2VIC
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Support EngineerSA
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerWA
- FTUnix EngineerACT
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- TPSenior Integration OfficerQLD
- CCProject Manager - Grant managementNSW
- TPBI ConsultantNSW
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCReporting Business AnalystACT
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperVIC