- High zoom, good LCD, logical interface
- Poor ergonomics, no memory card slot or USB port
The GR-D250AA is a solid, no-frills camera at a reasonable price.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The single-CCD (charge-coupled device) GR-D250AA is an entry-level MiniDV camcorder with some interesting new features. It's extremely compact, but the key selling point has to be the impressive 25X optical zoom lens.
There's no memory card slot or USB, so still capture is limited to video grabs to tape, and the ergonomics are a little under par--the chassis digs into the heel of your thumb over time, the zoom control can rock the camera, and the internal viewfinder doesn't tilt. That said, the 2.5" LCD is clear, the interface is logical and the playback/menu controls are easily accessible.
JVC's new Data Battery also allows for a more accurate "time remaining" readout that can be viewed while the camera is switched off--similar to Sony's InfoLithium technology.
The bottom-loading tape drive may irritate tripod users and there's no accessory shoe, but external microphones are supported. Manual controls include button-driven focus, exposure/gain control, white balance and selectable shutter speeds, but there's no progressive scan and widescreen recording is letterboxed or squeezed.
Despite claiming 520-line video resolution, the GR-D250AA's pictures don't look all that sharp, but low-light performance benefits from a noise reduction circuit, and the colour handling is pleasantly neutral, avoiding the over-saturated, over-sharpened feel of many consumer camcorders.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- CCAdlib DeveloperVIC
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCWeb PublisherACT
- FTHead of Quality AssuranceNSW
- FTSenior Application DeveloperOther
- FTSQL DeveloperACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Infrastructure Projects)Other
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperACT
- FTUX Researcher - ContractNSW
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- FTProject Manager/Business AnalystQLD
- FTCampaigns & Events ManagerOther
- FTICT TrainerOther
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTChange ManagerSA
- FTContract Specialist - TelecomOther
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerNSW
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- TPCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunitiesQLD