Princess Phonetics HD for iPad
Phonics is a widely used method of teaching children to read, pronouncing letters and letter groups as they sound rather than the traditional 'A', 'B', 'C', etc.
- Great reading app for children, easy to use
- Slightly overpriced
Princess Phonetics HD is a clean and simple phonics reading app for children that's easy to use and well made. It's so simple that the price – mid-range for such an app – is a little steep for its one-trick approach to the subject. But it works and at least parents will have a handy reminder of the sounds being taught in class.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as “bee” rather than the phonic “ber”.
For children to really get the most out of an early years phonic education it’s best that they stick to that pronunciation only at the beginning.
(Of course they’ll probably be able to sing the alphabet by rote but for learning to read letters and how they’ll sound phonics has a lot going for it.)
Princess Phonetics HD is a very simple phonics iPad app that teaches the letter shapes and phonic sounds.The clear English voice-over is by five-year-old Molly, aged 5. Thankfully it’s ‘Zed’ – I mean ‘zzz’ – rather than the American ‘Zee’.
It’s called Princess because it’s in every girl’s favourite colour pink, and generalists will be pleased that there’s also a Prince Phonetics HD app in – you guessed it – blue.
It’s great that the app shows both uppercase (capital) and lowercase letters, as children can get confused why there’s two different shapes and showing them together should help understanding.
You touch the individual letters to hear the letter sounds. It’s that easy.
It’s a shame you can’t use more of the iPad functionality – for instance, swiping to the next letter. The only options this app offers is to change the background to different types of pink.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Monster Hunter World review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPMO LeadOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Supply ChainOther
- FTTM1 Business Systems AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerSA
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- CCMigration SpecialistVIC
- FTMQ Broker IIB AdministratorACT
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager: ApplicationsQLD
- CCEnterprise Architecture - Strategy ConsultantVIC
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- FTOnsite Support EngineerOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- FTTechnical Project ManagerOther
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCSoftware Engineer /.NET Developer - based in PerthWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst (IAM & Cyber Security)Other
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTPresales Project ManagerOther
- TP.Net DeveloperSA