JBL Cinema Sound CS460
- Great sound quality, fantastic bass performance
- Requires the purchase of separate receiver
An excellent unit with a quirky design, JBL's CS460 speakers are a fantastic option for any discerning listener.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
For those of you moving beyond an entry-level home theatre system, there's a range of options that offer an excellent mix of quality and affordability. JBL's latest Cinema Sound CS460 5.1 surround sound speaker system is a perfect example. It delivers exceptional audio performance and has an attractive design to boot. Although the system's pricing is relatively expensive compared to other home theatre options, its audio quality, when used in conjunction with a full home theatre setup, is well-worth the money.
The five surround speakers are rated at 100W, while the 6in sub-woofer is rated at 125W, and they deliver a lot of power. Cranking the volume up as loud as we could, we found the system's quality to be almost faultless. Some distortion was evident at the loudest volume level, but this was expected. A quick calibration, facilitated by Harman Kardon's AVR145 home theatre receiver, allowed us to get right into the heart of the speaker system. The CS460 immediately began to pump out impressive sound, producing clear and distinct tones.
The entire sound range sounded good during our tests, but we were most impressed with its bass reproduction. Whether slow and rumbling or fast and punchy, the sub-woofer did a fantastic job of keeping the walls shaking while avoiding distortion or drowning out the rest of the audio. Even with machine guns firing, bombs exploding, and music thumping, the treble and mid-range frequencies came through strong and clear.
The CS460 doesn't take too long to set up. It comes with colour-coded cables and plugs, which makes it simple to match the speakers to their appropriate ports. Wall-mounting brackets are included in the package, and speaker stands are an optional accessory.
Design-wise, you will either love the CS460 or hate it. The speakers are best described as giant M&Ms with their tops and bottoms sawn off in order to give them a flat surface to stand on. Bulbous and black, they may look ridiculous in some settings, but they have the potential to be incredibly attractive in the right setting. Using the optional stands, the speakers end up looking like some sort of huge, black, metallic flowers. The sub-woofer is mostly dark grey in colour, with silver sides. Controls, connections and the power switch are all neatly positioned on the back.
Overall the CS460 is an excellent package for those of you who can afford it. Although the fact that it also require a separate receiver drives an already high retail price higher, the sound quality that it delivers makes it worth the extra bucks. Whether you're an audiophile, a bass-fiend, or just looking for a well-rounded home theatre package, JBL's CS460 speaker system will deliver.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageQLD
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- CCMid-level Business Process Analyst (Automation) - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- CCProject Manager - Salesforce ImplementationVIC
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- CCSolution Architect/ Technical LeadQLD
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTLooking for Lead Solution ArchitectACT