Jawbone ERA Bluetooth headset
Jawbone ERA review: The Jawbone ERA introduces an accelerometer to allow shaking to pair, and tapping to answer calls
- Stylish design
- Built-in motion controls
- Ease of use and sound quality
- Can be tough to find a comfortable ear bud
- A little expensive
- No AC adapter included for charging
AliphCom's Jawbone ERA combines appealing style with excellent noise-cancelling capabilities, and its motion based controls work well. This is without doubt one of the best Bluetooth headsets available on the market.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Bluetooth headsets aren't the most exciting tech products in the world, but Jawbone is well known for attempting to add spice to the category by producing stylish devices with unique features. Its latest release, the Jawbone ERA, introduces an accelerometer to allow shaking to pair, and tapping to answer calls.
The AliphCom Jawbone ERA Bluetooth headset is both attractive and comfortable. Its curved, angled design is highlighted by a stylish, etched pattern on the front, with coloured plastic underneath creating a layered look. The design is distinctive, and the headset's build quality feels superb despite its plastic construction.
The Jawbone ERA ships with eight ear buds: four regular buds with an optional ear loop, and four hooked ear buds — both sets come in small, medium, large and extra large sizes. AliphCom claims the included ear loop is optional but we struggled to achieve a comfortable fit without one when using the non-hooked, regular ear buds. Comfort will obviously depend on finding a bud size that will fit your ear, but once fitted correctly, the Jawbone ERA is comfortable to wear for long periods. We particularly like the fact that its curved design sits neatly on the side of your face.
The Jawbone ERA Bluetooth headset has just a single talk button on the top. Depending on the function required, you tap, press or hold the button. Although this button is easily accessible, the volume is annoying to adjust with just a single button. AliphCom claims the built-in automatic volume control negates the need to adjust the volume manually — while most of the time this worked well enough, there was still a few instances where we preferred to adjust the volume manually. To do so, you need to press and hold the talk button, and release it when the desired volume is heard; when the button is held, the volume level cycles up and down.
AliphCom says the use of "MotionX" technology enables motion controls to be used with the Jawbone ERA. Although this is simply a fancy name for a built-in accelerometer, the basic functions work very well. Users can double tap the side of the Jawbone ERA to answer a call, and shake the headset to put it in pairing mode. Both are easier and more accessible than feeling for tiny buttons like most other Bluetooth headsets require. Further, when paired with an Apple iPhone or a BlackBerry smartphone, a handy battery meter for the Jawbone ERA will be displayed on your phone next to the battery icon.
The Jawbone ERA Bluetooth headset has excellent sound quality, and does a good job of minimising background noise. On an outdoor balcony on the 21st floor of a high rise office building, we were able to hold a clear conversation. Our voice did sound a little softer with wind noise, but the ERA was still an effective communication tool. Incoming audio quality is clear and also free of distortion, and volume is more than loud enough at its highest setting.
AliphCom rates the Jawbone ERA at 5.5 hours of talk time and up to 10 days of standby time. A short USB cable and an in car-adapter are both included in the sales package, though there is no AC adapter in the box. The Jawbone ERA can also be syncronised with the company's MyTalk platform for further customisation, including the ability to access third-part apps.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Sony Xperia XA2 to be Available in Australia
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Belkin
- CES 2018: Belkin Unveils Armada Of New Wireless Charging Solutions
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCJunior to Mid-level Developer - BrisbaneACT
- TPSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health - 12+ month contractQLD
- TPAndroid DeveloperQLD
- TPIntermediate Solution Architect - DataQLD
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- FTTableau DeveloperQLD
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTAccount Manager - Enterprise AccountsOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJAVA DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Technical Delivery ManagerACT
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTICT Service Centre Team LeaderVIC
- CCSAP ABAP CRM DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist ? Middleware LeadVIC
- TPSAP S/4HANA Implementation Project Manager - FMCGVIC
- CCDesktop Technician - 2 weeks deploymentNSW