Jarte Jarte word processor
- Fits onto a small, 64MB USB drive, works on several files and formats, it's free
- Not as good as the paid-for version
The trade-off for Jarte's small footprint and shallow learning curve is a dearth of features. A paid-for version, Jarte Plus, offers more, such as automatic spelling correction, automatic outlines, the ability to save clipboard cuttings for future use and support for independent user profiles, which Jarte calls "personalities".
Talk is cheap, but Word is expensive. Fortunately, Jarte is free. This clever little word-processing program lets you open, modify, and save files in common formats. And we do mean "little": Jarte fits onto a small, 64MB USB drive with room to spare for a couple of documents, making it perfect for travellers who want to work on projects and might not have Internet access for using Web-based alternatives.
Jarte's tabbed interface makes it easy to work on several files -- in several formats -- at once. We also appreciated the clickless file menus, which open with a mere mouse-over. (Selecting menu items require clicks, of course.) You have a choice of three layouts: the Notepad-style Minimal; the default, aptly named Compact; and Classic (with big, handy buttons).
Whether we ran Jarte off an XP system's hard drive or a portable USB drive, it opened Microsoft Word .doc, Rich Text Format and Word 2007 .docx files without a hitch. (The .docx functionality requires Microsoft's free, but large, compatibility pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats.) We successfully saved files in .doc, .txt and .rtf formats.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDemand Release ManagerNSW
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Developer Azure Power BINSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- TPImplementation Planner - Payroll PortfolioQLD
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCSharepoint Analyst / DeveloperQLD
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTManagement AccountantNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Application Support ConsultantQLD
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- FTIntegration EngineerACT