iRobot Roomba 577 robotic vacuum cleaner
The iRobot Roomba 577 vacuum takes the blood, sweat and tears out of the monotonous task of vacuum cleaning
- Comes with remote control, replacement components included
- Can be tricky to control with the remote
We were pleased by the results delivered by the iRobot Roomba 577. It's more expensive than the Roomba 530 but there is a lot more in the box.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The iRobot Roomba 577 robotic vacuum cleaner is the fancier version of the Roomba 530. It comes with a remote for manual control of the unit and easy selection of modes, and more replacement components are included.
Let's face it, vacuuming isn't something most people enjoy; it is a household chore that can be time consuming and energy sapping. The endless back and forward thrusting of the arm, the lower back pain, moving furniture out of the way and getting whipped by the cord as it reels back into the vacuum cleaner's body; all, to put it simply, suck. (Pun intended.)
Apart from the blaringly obvious convenience of having the a non-human do the grunt work, the iRobot Roomba 577 vacuum cleaner is a great piece of machinery for the elderly, the disabled and even just for getting kids interested in keeping the house clean. It can be programmed to clean on a daily basis, which is ideal for those with a busy lifestyle, allergy sufferers and germ-o-phobes.
The iRobot Roomba 577 has a black finish and looks much nicer than the 530, though it's not quite as shiny and futuristic looking as the Samsung NaviBot SR8855.
We tested the Roomba 577 on a number of different surfaces including linoleum, tiles and carpet. Favourable results were noted on all surfaces. On carpeted floors, the counter rotating bottom brushes, coupled with the side sweeper, are exceptionally good at whipping up fluff, hair and dander, depositing it into the dust chamber. When using the Roomba 577 on carpeted flooring, the counter rotating brushes will need a clean every two or three uses as the bristles become matted with fluff and dust. You can clean them by using the supplied brush. When used on tiled floors and linoleum, the Roomba won't need cleaning as often, but keeping it as clean as possible will guarantee optimal results.
The iRobot Roomba 577 ships with a remote control, two "virtual walls", a replacement sweeper brush, a bristle brush and an extra filter. The remote control is a handy companion; you can direct the Roomba 577 around to areas you want to clean instead of waiting for it to eventually get there. As handy as the remote control is, it is kind of annoying to use: the navigation pad is too sensitive be able to use smoothly.
Several operating modes are available: auto, spot and manual. On-board scheduling allows you to program up to seven cleaning times per week, which is handy as you won't even have to think about pressing the clean button.
The iRobot Roomba 577 does a great job at overcoming obstacles and it can adjust its height to get out of sticky situations. Due to its slight stature — it's just 91mm tall — it can easily get under and around furniture. But if it becomes really stuck it'll try its darndest to resolve the problem before asking for help; a voice will tell you to "please move Roomba to a new location". A bumper sensor alerts the Roomba when it has encountered an obstacle so it can correct its path and continue on cleaning. Cliff sensors tell the unit when it has reached a ledge so it won't tumble down a flight of stairs.
Priced at $799, the iRobot Roomba 577 is an expensive little thing, but it is incredibly convenient. It's a great option for someone with a busy schedule, the elderly, people with reduced mobility or anyone who just hates vacuuming. The iRobot Roomba 577 is available for purchase through the iRobot Australia Web site.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Apple will return heat generated by data center to warm up homes
- The Pico Model C is the beer-brewing appliance for price-conscious beginners
- TP-Link's new Wi-Fi light bulbs shun smart bridges for easier, cheaper setup
- Nissan charges after Tesla with home battery system
- iLumi's BR30 Outdoor color-tunable smart bulb will bring programmable lighting to your yard this summer
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTTechnical Support SpecialistACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPJava DeveloperNSW
- FTCustomer Support OfficerSA
- CCSolutions Architect - SharepointACT
- CCIT Service Desk AnalystACT
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- CCPeopleSoft Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTEnvironment and Deployment SpecialistACT
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTTelco Core Network Support EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTData Scientist (Scientific Computing Specialist)ACT
- FTSenior Java EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Oracle ConsultantNSW
- CCService Management AnalystNSW
- FTBig Data EngineerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTAdministration SupportOther
- CCDatabase AdministratorQLD
- FTData ModellerOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- CCPrincipal Business AnalystQLD